[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 3600 low clock speed?

Feb 8, 2021
Hi everyone.
My ryzen 5 3600 has a base clock speed of 3.6 GHz. Checking from windows activity monitor I noted that - on idle - the speed is lower: it oscillates from 2.4 to 3.4. The speed reach (and pass) 3,6 only if it is on stress.
Is that normal? Shouldn't 3.6 always be the lowest bound?

Sorry if it's a dumb question, but im new to computer building.
Thanks!

Solution
its the base clock, it doesn't always run at 100% max speed so no, it won't always be that fast. Some of the cores on my 3600xt can go as low as 20mhz (though they are asleep). Average clock on all cores is often below 200 at idle.

grab hwinfo and use it to see what all the cores are doing. Task manager isn't always accurate. It always thinks my CPU is running faster than it is
when you start it, click sensors only, and click run
in next screen, click the gear icon (settings)
change polling rate to 500ms and click set, ok
this makes results more accurate.

look at the effective clock totals, they actual core speeds -...

Colif

Win 11 Master
its the base clock, it doesn't always run at 100% max speed so no, it won't always be that fast. Some of the cores on my 3600xt can go as low as 20mhz (though they are asleep). Average clock on all cores is often below 200 at idle.

grab hwinfo and use it to see what all the cores are doing. Task manager isn't always accurate. It always thinks my CPU is running faster than it is
when you start it, click sensors only, and click run
in next screen, click the gear icon (settings)
change polling rate to 500ms and click set, ok
this makes results more accurate.

look at the effective clock totals, they actual core speeds - https://www.hwinfo.com/forum/threads/effective-clock-vs-instant-discrete-clock.5958/

the R5 3600 should boost to 4.2 under the right circumstances - https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/cpu-pb2

Last edited:
Solution
Hi everyone.
My ryzen 5 3600 has a base clock speed of 3.6 GHz. Checking from windows activity monitor I noted that - on idle - the speed is lower: it oscillates from 2.4 to 3.4. The speed reach (and pass) 3,6 only if it is on stress.
Is that normal? Shouldn't 3.6 always be the lowest bound?

Sorry if it's a dumb question, but im new to computer building.
Thanks!
Yes, quite normal, with some settings it can go even lower at true idle. Some of the cores when not in use can also turn off and go to "Sleep mode"
That's how most new-ish CPUs do. Depending on the way or in which program you look with, you may see only highest core frequency. Programs like Ryzen master will show you also what other cores are doing.