Question Ryzen 5 3600 Stuck at 0.54 Ghz with B450 Gaming Plus Max

May 25, 2020
Ok so at this point I'm about ready to RMA this whole damn thing. So basically, I am building an AMD system for my Nephew, and I've ensured everything is Compatible. Basically, when I first set everything up the Mobo wouldn't detect the VGA Card, so I decided to update BIOS to the newest available on MSIs Site. Success, or so I thought. The computer boots, but refuses to run at a higher CPU clock then 0.54Ghz. I've tried CMOS Reset, Battery Removal, the only thing that has gotten it to clock correctly is installing the oldest available BIOS version for the Board, and even then the CPU scores under 1000 on Cinebench R20 Multicore. I'm completely out of ideas at this point, so any help would be greatly appreciated. The hardware is as follows.

MSI B450 Gaming Plus Max
2x8GB DDR4-3200 GeIL AMD optimized Ram
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
XFX GTS XXX Edition RX580 8GB

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
have you installed newest chipset drivers? the newest VGA drivers for the CPU , etc, as well was windows a fresh install ? what is your power limit set to , (such as balanced, max, power saver? ) what PSU do you have? abnd is that really 0.54Mhz? cuz wow.. if so something is way off for sure, maybe reseat CPU and make sure Cooler installed properly

What PSU are you using ?

Generally when problems like this pop up I would recommend removing everything and starting over.

After removing the motherboard from the case verify there are no unused motherboard standoffs...they will cause a short on the back of the motherboard.

Install the motherboard on the appropriate standoffs with one piece of memory, the cpu, and GPU...nothing else, no boot drive or dvd drives...nothing. See if the system will post to the BIOS screen and see what clock speed is being reported in the BIOS.

If you can get into the BIOS and the clock speeds are reporting 3.6ghz then shut down and proceed to install items until the system is complete or you find the culprit. Make sure to reboot into the BIOS every time you add something.

If you couldn't boot into the BIOS at the proper speed in the minimalist config then it's time to RMA...personally I'd start with the memory...I've never had good luck with Geil but that's just my experience with it.

May 25, 2020
have you installed newest chipset drivers? the newest VGA drivers for the CPU , etc, as well was windows a fresh install ? what is your power limit set to , (such as balanced, max, power saver? ) what PSU do you have? abnd is that really 0.54Mhz? cuz wow.. if so something is way off for sure, maybe reseat CPU and make sure Cooler installed properly
I have Installed the newest chipset drivers from AMD, windows is a fresh Install, I've tried all the Ryzen Power Plans, I have a 700W RaidMax Cobra PSU, and it is running at 0.54Ghz, not Mhz, update is that I have it running normal speeds again on Bios version H20, but still fails at cinebench.

May 25, 2020
What PSU are you using ?

Generally when problems like this pop up I would recommend removing everything and starting over.

After removing the motherboard from the case verify there are no unused motherboard standoffs...they will cause a short on the back of the motherboard.

Install the motherboard on the appropriate standoffs with one piece of memory, the cpu, and GPU...nothing else, no boot drive or dvd drives...nothing. See if the system will post to the BIOS screen and see what clock speed is being reported in the BIOS.

If you can get into the BIOS and the clock speeds are reporting 3.6ghz then shut down and proceed to install items until the system is complete or you find the culprit. Make sure to reboot into the BIOS every time you add something.

If you couldn't boot into the BIOS at the proper speed in the minimalist config then it's time to RMA...personally I'd start with the memory...I've never had good luck with Geil but that's just my experience with it.
I've tried this a couple times. It works with older BIOS versions but the cinebench score is 874, which I'm pretty sure is ridiculously low. Runs Doom 2016 fine on max settings though. Its a 700w Raidmax Cobra PSU. I've also swapped the memory with my person PC memory which has Gskill Ripjaw memory, to no avail. RN running H20 bios version it runs fine but fails at Cinebench. H40, H50, and H60(latest) BIOS versions have the reduced clock rate