[SOLVED] Ryzen 5 3600 stuck at 3950Mhz as new default

Feb 21, 2020
Hey everyone,

I recently built a PC with the Ryzen 5 3600. Its default settings were 3600Mhz @ 1.1V - averaging temps at idle between 35-44C.

I tried messing around in AMD Ryzen Master to get familiarized with OC (This is my first build ever, so I'm learning as I go.)

After setting 4000Mhz @ 1.15V I ran a stress test in AIDA64 for about 30min and hit a few spikes around 80. I wasn't super comfortable with that so went to set it back to its default config then my computer froze. I restarted (had to turn it off at the PSU) and tried to set the default config again but with the same result. Now it's saying the default clock speed is 3950Mhz @ 1.15V and anytime I try to bring it back down manually I freeze and have to turn the power off completely.

I'd leave it alone but I'm worried about idle temps.
It's hovering around 45C with an occasional spike >53C, and this is just at idle. Sometimes it spikes as high as 57C at idle.

Hardware:
Ryzen 5 3600
NZXT Kraken X62 Liquid Cooler
Asus TUF Gaming X-570 MOBO
32GB Corsair Vengance DDR4-3200
GeForce RTX 2070 Super
Samsung 970 Evo 1TB M.2-2280
Corsair 850W PSU

Solution

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Do not look at Ryzen 3000 in the same manner as an Intel cpu.
The higher idle temps are normal. It is a very 'bursty' chip in nature.
Higher idle, but lower load temps than the Intel competitor, that's how Ryzen 3000 operates.

You're really better off leaving it at stock settings though. Setting a static frequency actually hurts their performance.
Turn on A-XMP, keep it cool... no need to do anything else.

Feb 21, 2020
Do not look at Ryzen 3000 in the same manner as an Intel cpu.
The higher idle temps are normal. It is a very 'bursty' chip in nature.
Higher idle, but lower load temps than the Intel competitor, that's how Ryzen 3000 operates.

You're really better off leaving it at stock settings though. Setting a static frequency actually hurts their performance.
Turn on A-XMP, keep it cool... no need to do anything else.

That's the issue though, I'm trying to put it back to "stock" settings, which were 3600Mhz @ 1.1V but it's now saying that Default ("stock") settings are 3950Mhz @ 1.15V, and whenever I try to manually lower it, my computer crashes.

From what I know Ryzen Master is only used for testing... after restarting your PC the OC shouldn't be reapplied. I used it in the past for a bit and the OC was only applied in the current session. When restarting my PC everything went back to default.

My advice is this: just uninstall amd ryzen master(that should also solve your issue) and do your cpu tweaking in the BIOS.

Feb 21, 2020
From what I know Ryzen Master is only used for testing... after restarting your PC the OC shouldn't be repplied.

My advice is this: just uninstall amd ryzen master(that should also solve your issue) and do your cpu tweaking in the BIOS.

That's what I thought also but apparently ryzen master applied those settings permanently somehow. In the BIOS I can set a speed upon boot by selecting a particular ryzen master "profile" in the BIOS itself but I never even touched that option, also its currently set to default in the BIOS so somehow ryzen master reconfigured the BIOS default.

I guess a better temporary question to ask would be: Should I be worried about idle temps that fluctuate between 42-57C?

I was at 33-42C before I started messing with OC.

Not really... but that's a weird thing. When I use ryzen master settings made before restarting won't apply on start up. It will go to whatever is set in the BIOS.

As a last resort I'd try reflashing the BIOS(or just updating it with a newer version if there is)... that should solve the problem.

Reactions: SEMissileMan
Feb 21, 2020
Not really... but that's a weird thing. When I use ryzen master settings made before restarting won't apply on start up. It will go to whatever is set in the BIOS.

As a last resort I'd try reflashing the BIOS(or just updating it with a newer version if there is)... that should solve the problem.

Yeah I think this weekend I'm going to reapply a higher quality thermal paste and do that. Thanks

Solution