Jun 7, 2020
I recently upgraded from Ryzen 5 1600 to Ryzen 5 3600x and Rog Strix B450-f for mobo. The new CPU doesn’t boot but the old one boot up just fine. The LED lights and fans turn on with the new CPU but it just doesn’t boot. My PC usually beeps when it boots to indicate me that it’s working but it doesn’t beep with R5 3600x. I was wondering the RAMs could be the issue or I need to update the bios of the motherboard even though it came with the AMD Ryzen 3000 desktop ready. Any suggestions to why this is happening?

Solution
Yes, the RED QLED indicates a CPU issue.
If you still have the R5 1600, I would set the BIOS to Optimized Defaults then reboot and re-install the 1600 and re-flash BIOS version 3003.
Then Install the 3600 and see if it will boot.
That would just ensure that version 3003 fully flashed and there were no left over settings.
I recently upgraded from Ryzen 5 1600 to Ryzen 5 3600x and Rog Strix B450-f for mobo. The new CPU doesn’t boot but the old one boot up just fine. The LED lights and fans turn on with the new CPU but it just doesn’t boot. My PC usually beeps when it boots to indicate me that it’s working but it doesn’t beep with R5 3600x. I was wondering the RAMs could be the issue or I need to update the bios of the motherboard even though it came with the AMD Ryzen 3000 desktop ready. Any suggestions to why this is happening?
Is BIOS updated ?

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
I would recommend that you Clear the CMOS like this:
Unplug the PC (PSU).
Then press the Power Button for at least 30 seconds.
Use a flat headed screwdriver to short the CLR CMOS (CLRTC) Jumper (Touch both jumper pins with the screwdriver) for at least 15 seconds.
Plug the PC back in.
Press the Power Button to turn the PC on.
Repeatedly tap the DEL key
A screen should come up telling you to press the F1 key, do that.
Set the Optimized Default settings and Press OK (this is on the EXIT tab)
Save and exit the BIOS.
Tap the DEL key again to enter the BIOS and change any settings you want changed then save and exit again.

Reactions: RodroX
Jun 20, 2020
For anyone in the future attempting to upgrade, hopefully this well be helpful. I upgraded my sons computer from a Ryzen 3 1300X to a Ryzen 5 3600 on a GIGABYTE GA-AB350-GAMING 3 motherboard.

When I first tried to boot with after changing to the 3600, I got no video and no POST. I tried resetting the CMOS to no avail. I ended up putting the old CPU back in, and then updating to the latest BIOS, and then I was able to put the 3600 back in and it worked, so if you get this no video no post issue, there's a good chance you need to upgrade the BIOS, especially on an older rig you are trying to stretch with an upgrade.

Reactions: sdedu77
Jun 7, 2020
For compatibility, no. But Ryzen likes fast memory (>3000mhz, 3600mhz being the sweetspot for 3rd gen) and, of coure, dual channel configuration.
I think it might be my RAMs because the onboard LED was yellow when I booted it up and according to the manual that means something is wrong with the DRAM

Reactions: DMAN999

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
Reactions: RodroX
Jun 7, 2020

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
Yes, the RED QLED indicates a CPU issue.
If you still have the R5 1600, I would set the BIOS to Optimized Defaults then reboot and re-install the 1600 and re-flash BIOS version 3003.
Then Install the 3600 and see if it will boot.
That would just ensure that version 3003 fully flashed and there were no left over settings.

Last edited:
Reactions: sdedu77 and RodroX
Solution