Question Ryzen 5 5600X CPU always running at boost clock (4.2 GHz) even when idle, temps are running high

xslabs.sai

Reputable
Dec 20, 2018
CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming PLUS Max
Cooler: Stock, Wraith Stealth 65W Cooler

I upgraded from an R3 1300X to R5 5600X today. I booted it up and looked at MSI Afterburner, which told me CPU temps are 80 C when idle. So I thought I didn't apply the thermal paste properly and replaced it. When I looked at Afterburner again, it showed 60C now. After searching for the problem, I found that the CPU is always running at it's boost clock, 4.20 GHz when it's base clock is 3.7 GHz, even when idle with ~5% usage. I tried changing the power settings, but it was already on balanced, and the power saving mode reduced it to 1.7 GHz. Anyway to get it to normal? Maybe in the BIOS settings? I'm on BIOS version 7B86vHC.

Pics:

Please help, my case is cramped enough as it is and cooling is already an issue for me. My cooler can't handle it. Please help me find a way to make it normal again.

Thanks so much for your help.

It's normal for Ryzen processors to boost for periods of time and go back down, simply because there's always something to do periodically even when idling. If it's always at boost speeds then something is running in the background keeping it from having a chance to idle.

xslabs.sai

Reputable
Dec 20, 2018
It's normal for Ryzen processors to boost for periods of time and go back down, simply because there's always something to do periodically even when idling. If it's always at boost speeds then something is running in the background keeping it from having a chance to idle.
This didn't happen to my old Ryzen 3, and there are the same applications running before and after.

Aug 13, 2021
my (still) temporary fix is to use power saving when I'm not gaming. another temporary fix is to go into the bios to change the multiplier to 37 so it won't cross 3.7ghz and temps remain relatively cooler
My MB Asus B550 pro, latest BIOS... I will ask Asus for support and let me know the result

Aug 13, 2021
[QUOTE = "xslabs.sai, příspěvek: 22421115, člen: 2686311"]
moje (stále) dočasná oprava je použít úsporu energie, když nehraji. další dočasná oprava je jít do biosu změnit multiplikátor na 37, aby nepřekročil 3,7 GHz a teploty zůstaly relativně chladnější
[/CITÁT]
Result : Cpuz/aida64/HW monitor/Asus suite/Windows/Msi Afterburner all programs show bad results(MHz) , but dont worry your cpu work good. Download Ryzen master and now see truth MHz.checked the consumption via HWinfo and it is fine compared to the multimeter. I don't know why this is so, but everything is fine, the cpu goes to 800mhz 1 core / the other cores go to sleep. Excuse my English.