Question Ryzen 5 8600G iGPU flickers randomly and crashes with green screens under load ?

nasirfoxx5

Reputable
Jul 31, 2019
Greetings all,

Forgive me if this is the wrong topic for this, I’m assuming this is the correct one since this pretty much just relates to my iGPU.

I recently put together a build with a Ryzen 5 8600G CPU and I have been getting pretty annoying issues with its iGPU. I get random small flickers (like 2 to 4 pixel flickers) sometimes, and they get even worse when the iGPU is under load (the GPU-Z render test GSODs my computer after like 1 and a half mins). Whenever under load, there’s around a 75% I will get a GSOD and I am forced to restart.

Relevant specs are as follows:
- Ryzen 5 8600G at stock settings (using A620 board anyways so not like I can overlock it or anything anywho)
- Arctic Alpine 23 cooler (not sure the cooler particularly matters here but could be relevant due to temps)
- Gigabyte A620I AX mobo (BIOS ver. F31b)
- TeamGroup T-Create Expert Overclocking White 32GB DDR5 6000 CL30

Things I have already tried to mitigate this issue:
  • Installing various GPU drivers, first using drivers from Gigabyte Control Center, then uninstalling using DDU and then using drivers from AMD’s website (currently using latest from AMD)
  • Reinstalling chipset drivers (was already installed by GCC but reinstalled it in case that would help)
  • Downgrading/updating BIOS
  • Reseating/using only one of the RAM sticks
  • Changing GFX frequency in BIOS to something like 1500MHz
  • Disabling EXPO; it is the most stable this way but I still get GSODs upon load
  • Toying with RAM voltages

None of this fixed anything.

With EXPO disabled, I get the most stability here but I’m still getting GSODs under load and flickers right before that happens. With it enabled, I get insane flickers and then it GSODs before I even log in. I’ve gotten EXPO to be more stable however by changing the RAM voltages to around 1.35V which I believe is the rated speed of my kit, then putting SoC voltage to some very low value, but flickers are a bit more apparent than with EXPO off and GSODs happen around the same times as when EXPO is disabled.

Also will note that I tried MemTest86 on my rig with absolute default BIOS settings except with EXPO being on and off. Would you look at that, with EXPO on, failed with 12 errors, but to my surprise, passed with no errors with EXPO off, but the iGPU is still finicky! Voltages were left on Auto during both tests (enabling EXPO leaves them on Auto (1.1V), is that supposed to happen?). I’ll post my summaries if needed.

As for my temps, I think they are fine, HWInfo said the highest I got was 95C on APU GFX when loading up something pretty graphically intensive, but the average is around 65-80 under load.

Really not certain whether the issue is my iGPU itself or the memory, or something software side that I’m doing wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

- Nasir W.

Last edited:

nasirfoxx5

Reputable
Jul 31, 2019
This sounds like a heat issue. Your cooler isn't up to the task.

What PSU are you using?

Make sure your motherboard BIOS is fully updated.

Using a Seasonic Focus GM-550 550W power supply. Brand new.

As stated in my original post, I am using F31b which is the latest BIOS.

Maybe I will just switch to the Wraith cooler 😭

nasirfoxx5

Reputable
Jul 31, 2019
Try the Wraith. Be sure to remove all the thermal compound currently being used from the CPU before mounting the replacement cooler.

Try the Wraith. Be sure to remove all the thermal compound currently being used from the CPU before mounting the replacement cooler.
Alright. Quick question tho, can I simply use paper towel to wipe off the thermal paste? I don’t have isopropyl alcohol or any microfiber cloths. I’ve only had the paste applied for 2 days.

Alright. Quick question tho, can I simply use paper towel to wipe off the thermal paste? I don’t have isopropyl alcohol or any microfiber cloths. I’ve only had the paste applied for 2 days.
As long as the towel is lint free, then it's okay. ISO, just makes it a whole lot easier to remove the old paste. Just using a paper towel, may damage the circuitry around the CPU. You will need to be very careful ISO, makes removing the paste a 30 second job. Without, you will be scrubbing for a while. ISO can be found in most Pharmacies or hardware store, for less than 10£$€.