[SOLVED] Ryzen 5600x getting to 90 degrees while gaming. Solutions?

Feb 23, 2021
I recently bought 5600X (in the winters) so when i used to play rocket league there was no temperature warning (beeping from motherboard) but nowadays summers are approaching so while gaming it regularly reaches 90 degrees and motherboard beeps. I am using stock cooler and i don't think these temps are normal. I ran cinebench but the temps there were in mid 70s(multi core) and early 80s (single core). Then i thought that maybe its overheating because of the GPU so i ran MSI Kombustor along with cinebench(multi core) and the temps were in early 80s but when i play the game the temps never come below 85 degrees and cpu usage is also less than 20%. Im playing in 4k, GPU- GTX 1660, Motherboard B550 Aorus Pro. Please help as i think it might damage the cpu.

Edit: I think i found the solution to this problem by undervolting the CPU

Last edited:
Solution
Stock cooler seems main culprit why 5600X become so hot. Though Zen3 CPUs can live up to +105C, it certainly will be better to lower CPU temps by replacing CPU cooler to better aftermarket cooler or AIO with 200W TDP.

For example below is my build with 5800X CPU (warmer than 5600X): https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fwHCgt. I deliberately used 250W TDP cooler here. Wanted not only low temps but also silence. It paid off - nearly silent system with CPU temps are +32...40C idle and +68C on full CPU load.
Stock cooler seems main culprit why 5600X become so hot. Though Zen3 CPUs can live up to +105C, it certainly will be better to lower CPU temps by replacing CPU cooler to better aftermarket cooler or AIO with 200W TDP.

For example below is my build with 5800X CPU (warmer than 5600X): https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fwHCgt. I deliberately used 250W TDP cooler here. Wanted not only low temps but also silence. It paid off - nearly silent system with CPU temps are +32...40C idle and +68C on full CPU load.

Solution
You still should rethink your CPU cooling. 5600X 65W TDP actually doubles on full load. Better get at least 150W TDP cooler to keep temps down. Though if one is satisfied with awfully yelling stock cooler and roasting CPU, I'm not insist.

To be honest, I was surprised how cool my 5600X runs when I first installed it but then I am running it with a be quiet dark rock slim. As others have suggested, the AMD stock coolers are not great at all, I would definitely think about upgrading to a decent after market cooler. Also, are your chipset drivers up to date?

Reactions: Phaaze88
Feb 23, 2021
You still should rethink your CPU cooling. 5600X 65W TDP actually doubles on full load. Better get at least 150W TDP cooler to keep temps down. Though if one is satisfied with awfully yelling stock cooler and roasting CPU, I'm not insist.
Do you have any suggestions as to which cooler to get at around 30$?

Do you have any suggestions as to which cooler to get at around 30$?

At least 10$ too cheap for good cooler, seriously. Ok, I will put a list of my choice for 5600X CPU with current Amazon prices in ascending order. Pick what you like or can afford. Cheaper

or cooler/quieter.

https://www.amazon.com/quiet-BK006-brushed-aluminum-technology/dp/B087VM7HT2/ (black version here)

If you want to really cool your CPU, double TDP watts and add 15-20% margin to learn about real TDP required in search for proper cooler. Plus keep in mind your CPU socket type, RAM module height and max case height inside.

Reactions: kurdtnz