[SOLVED] [Ryzen 5900x] CPU Overheating on boot/during simple tasks. All other components are fine.

Mar 4, 2022
So just had a brand new PC built, tested at my friends house and it was running fine. Once I took it back to my place, the CPU kept overheating on boot, Fan RPM keeps resetting in BIOS, sometimes it overheats on simple tasks like updating windows. All other components are fine, not overheating. Its using a Lian-Li AIO, has plenty of airflow in the case. Any help/advice will be appreciated.

I've tried moving the PC around the room, still the same issue. I'm not sure what is going on.

Solution
I'll triple check those things but it was working completely fine at my friends place. It was built by a local company too and they tested it before I got it. It might've come loose in transit, so I will check but it doesn't make sense.
It's always a good idea to check cooler mounting...and GPU mounting too...after shipments.

But also be aware of how Ryzen CPU's work: they report temp at hot spots and boost aggressively. Each boost will spike a hot spot temp so you want to look for an average CPU temperature to know the true thermal state of the CPU. HWInfo64 has an average CPU temperature reading.

This can be especially apparent at light processing loads or even at idle, or when you're not running or doing anything. Even at...

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
So just had a brand new PC built, tested at my friends house and it was running fine. Once I took it back to my place, the CPU kept overheating on boot, Fan RPM keeps resetting in BIOS, sometimes it overheats on simple tasks like updating windows. All other components are fine, not overheating. Its using a Lian-Li AIO, has plenty of airflow in the case. Any help/advice will be appreciated.

I've tried moving the PC around the room, still the same issue. I'm not sure what is going on.
What temperature is overheating?

Stock cooler or aftermarket?

Mar 4, 2022
Cooling block isn't properly installed? Pump isn't working? Pump isn't correctly connected to motherboard?

I'll triple check those things but it was working completely fine at my friends place. It was built by a local company too and they tested it before I got it. It might've come loose in transit, so I will check but it doesn't make sense.

It's always a good idea to check cooler mounting...and GPU mounting too...after shipments.

But also be aware of how Ryzen CPU's work: they report temp at hot spots and boost aggressively. Each boost will spike a hot spot temp so you want to look for an average CPU temperature to know the true thermal state of the CPU. HWInfo64 has an average CPU temperature reading.

This can be especially apparent at light processing loads or even at idle, or when you're not running or doing anything. Even at idle Windows runs lots of background tasks with literally hundreds of active threads. One of them is always asking the CPU to do something and that's when it spikes temp as it boosts.

And finally, Windows delays starting some services and background apps for a short while to speed the boot process. One of them seems to be parts of the power management system. I've noticed on my 5800X the base clocks (the low clock speed between the boosting) will drop a bit about 30 sec's to a minute after startup, and along with that the average Vcore also lowers. That can have a significant impact on temperatures.

Last edited:
Solution

TRENDING THREADS