Question ryzen 5900x hitting max temps of 91 if i have game open

Jul 27, 2022
My 5900x is hitting extremely high temps when i have a simple game like valorant open, routinely hitting 91 and stopping there. I know my cpu cooler is the problem and i’m replacing it asap. Is it safe to use the pc for gaming while i wait for the new cooler? It would be a week max of intermittent gaming. I don’t want to damage the chip while i wait for the new cooler.

Jul 27, 2022
Which cooler?

Instead of dying in 10 years, I guess it would die in 9 and 3/4 years... well, it'll be obsolete before then.
currenly using noctua nh-l9a which has half the tdp of the 5900x. I'm running it in eco mode for the meantime. Since im ballin on a budget, I'm considering getting the be quiet DARK ROCK SLIM which has 80 more watts than reccomended for the 5900x

Jul 28, 2022
Turn off Mircosoft Teams, When teams are running my CPU sits at 80c, and when I game it goes to 90c
When teams if off my CPU sits at 66c. I know it sounds crazy but google teams cause high CPU temps

USAFRet

Titan
Turn off Mircosoft Teams, When teams are running my CPU sits at 80c, and when I game it goes to 90c
When teams if off my CPU sits at 66c. I know it sounds crazy but google teams cause high CPU temps
You system has other issues.

My system, currently...

MS Teams
2x VMs with Win 10 pro
2x FireFox windows, with 25 or so tabs between the two
TightVNC showing my HTPC
2x surveillance camera windows
1x Excel
1x Word

CPU sitting here at 66C.
(system details in Viper below in my sig line)

Jul 28, 2022
I was able to resolve my heat issues, teams does because hardware acceleration make my CPU work harder but this was a symptom of the issue and not the problem.
I resat my Cooler and replaced my Thermal paste with a different brand

MissJessika

Honorable
Jan 6, 2017
5900x (NH-D15 cooler with Kryonaut paste) here...Playing BL3 at max settings and temps going up to 71c. Is that high? (feels like it)
GPU (3080ti) maxed at 78.3c.
All info from HMiNFO64 monitor.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Dark Rock slim doesn't cut it either. Forget about TDP as a number, the 5900x can easily reach socket limits of 142w. Figure that's about 100° C with a 140w budget cooler, and the DR slim is a 140w budget cooler that's less efficient than the Noctua NH-L9i/a but makes up for that shortcoming by brute force and size advantage.

The smallest cooler I'd even consider would be the Noctua NH-U12S or Scythe Fuma2.

Ideally, in order to keep temps in check with most standard loads, the cooler should be at least Double the TDP of the cpu, so you should be looking at coolers in the 200-250w range, minimums being @ 180w. That means Noctua U12s, U12A, C14s, D14, D15/s or equivalents.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Ideally, in order to keep temps in check with most standard loads, the cooler should be at least Double the TDP of the cpu, so you should be looking at coolers in the 200-250w range, minimums being @ 180w.
I thought we couldn't rely too much on TDP?
Intel and AMD calculate it differently.
Most cooler manufacturers have stopped posting ratings. AIO/CLCs - I recall only Enermax doing it, and some of theirs were pretty exaggerated. 500w Liqtech IIs??? Too bad about the gunk though.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i seeing this a lot and wonder why my 5900x is not having any issues at all.

i have a budget 150w cooler on it and see maybe 70 degrees with a game on. i have the Be quiet Pure Rock 2. i am assuming it is due to lifting the power limits from stock. that 142w is not a hard limit. that chip will easily hit 250w with the limits removed.

that's my first question is if those limits are in place or not. if you plan on letting it eat, then you need to be looking a much better cooling that anything "budget" but at stock settings in my experience the 150w Pure Rock is ample.

i can torture test it and quickly hit 90 degrees at about 165w according to HW monitor. but just playing a game it never gets that high sitting around 100w or so. i have PBO on but rarely see it boost more than 4 cores or so depending on what i am doing.

Last edited:

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
yah that's what i wonder why just a game is hitting thermal limits for folks when for me it's not even close. just did a 30 min session and it says i used 90w max at 70 degrees.

leaves me perplexed what "game" folks are playing to hit the limits like that. i can't make it happen anyway...

DSzymborski

Titan
yah that's what i wonder why just a game is hitting thermal limits for folks when for me it's not even close. just did a 30 min session and it says i used 90w max at 70 degrees.

leaves me perplexed what "game" folks are playing to hit the limits like that. i can't make it happen anyway...

Without knowing your specs, you have a ton of experience, so you likely have a very solid install and a case that isn't cooking it alive.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's highly game dependent though, a game like CSGO or LOL or even Valorant isn't going to tax the cpu too hard, even with the cpu settings at ultra and game settings having all the floating damage and bloom enabled. Games like the Civ series, heavily nodded skyrim or fallout with enb, MSFS around London or LA etc are a different story. That's when you'll start seeing more than 6-8 cores used and higher usage.

Most asetek vendor rads are easy. 120mm =140w, 240mm=250w, 280mm=300w, 360mm=350w, 420mm=400w. There will be some oddballs, like the original Enermax 240mm liquidtech that hit 300w, but that wasn't an asetek design pump or rad. Same applies to the Corsair's using the square body Coolit pumps, the rads are the same as what asetek vendors use.

It's only for the most part in custom loop rads that wattage differs from the aios, it'll also depend on the rad thickness, rad in/out pipe design, fin type, fin per inch etc.

But that's capacity only, actual temps in that capacity are solely due to the fans used and the performance of those fans vs rad. Using the wrong rad or wrong fans can easily result in 10°C temp loss or more.

Last edited: