[SOLVED] Ryzen 5900x severely underperforming in TimeSpy CPU test

RadB13

Honorable
Nov 30, 2016
Hello everyone

I recently updated my rig, i bought everything new except for some RAM and my motherboard, here are my current specs:

Ryzen 5900x
3080 FTW3 Ultra
850W Cougar GX PSU
Prime x470 Motherboard
32GB of Corsair Vengeance LPX RAM (4x8GB) @ 3200MGhz
Noctua DH15 Chromax CPU cooler

As the title says, I am worried that something is wrong with my CPU. On TimeSpy my overall score is 15 322, where 17741 is my GPU and I am getting merely 8644 for the CPU bench..I heard some rumours of 5900x cpus being called back due to some issues, is this one of them, because i thought they were temperature related..
After changing so many components I am with a fresh install of Windows, which is not yet updated to the latest build, could that be an issue?
I have tried a number of things:

1. D.O.C.P in BIOS is turned on, since my RAM showed 2133MHz, should be working @ 3200 right now
  2. I turned on ASUS Optimal in my BIOS settings
  3. I tried Auto OC in AMD Ryzen Master as well as trying to manually clock the CPU to 4.8MGz with 1.325V
  4. The GPU im guessing is fine, I have only upped the temperature/power sliders to the max (didnt touch voltage)
  5. I checked my task manager, I think all 12 cores are working and selected

What else can I do? Is my CPU simply faulty, should i return it?
Hopefully someone here can help, thank you guys in advance, let me know if I missed any info that could be helpful.
Also, I am new around PC building, please go easy on me if i missed something completely :/

Solution
Both Intel and amd have recommended power limits. Ryzen high wattage cpus use 142/95/140 as standard limits, PBO just sets the cpu at that limit. But vendors are free to change those limits with such things as TPU, Overdrive, PBO lvl1-3 etc which raises the potential power use limit.

I'm guessing Asus Optimized is 395/255/200, which is nothing more than setting the cpu free to use whatever it can when overclocked/pushed hard, so power itself doesn't become the limiter. Only temps.

Ryzen 5000's are different to prior Ryzens, they actually do very well, if not better, when using 4 dimms, IF they are the right kind. Zen 3 takes good advantage of dual rank dimms, not just dual channel. 4x single rank dimms will act as 2 sets of dual...
I heard some rumours of 5900x cpus being called back due to some issues..
Never heard about that and I think I'm quite following hardware related news. As is the case with everything, it can happen one get faulty component, put that's pretty rare for CPU's in my opinion. Many times we can read on forums "Tried everything... is my CPU faulty?", but it usually turns out it's actually users fault.

I have no answer for your trouble, except an advice... If there are performance related troubles, don't try to solve them by manually changing CPU parameters (which is over/under-clocking actually).
Set BIOS to default instead and start looking from there. Ok, at default settings you don't get "ultimate" performance, but it should be somewhere close to average benchmarks. And if that's not the case, then start monitoring temperatures.

Bassman999

Prominent
Feb 27, 2021
Ive never used Tim espy till I read your thread to compare. My graphics card is weak as I cant find one online I can afford right now.
But my CPU score is (5900X) 13 471
I dont know if my score is above or below average, but based on it I think theres is something going on with your score as well.

Hopefully someone else can chime in with advice. My ram is 3600mhx CL18

These are my results.
https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/59511145

"D.O.C.P in BIOS is turned on, since my RAM showed 2133MHz, should be working @ 3200 right now".

Make sure they are running at 3200MHz and not "should". 2133MHz on a 5900X on Timepsy will give you a lower score.

There is a good chance that 3200MHz won't stick on your systems since you're using 4 sticks instead of 2. Harder to get the advertised speed using the DOCP profile and the RAM just return to 2133MHz. Sometime impossible to use the DOCP profile because of 4 sticks.

Run that userbenchmark test - https://www.userbenchmark.com/resources/download/UserBenchMark.exe

Paste the results page link here.

Bassman999

Prominent
Feb 27, 2021
Forgot to mention before.. I think Time Spy is meant more for benchmark graphic performance (even the result also depends on CPU performance). But if you suspect CPU is low performing, then you should use benchmark which only validates CPU. I use Cinebench R23 for this purpose.
Which Cinebench R23 version as there are several windows choices?
I am going to grab the top choice, Just hoping this is the right one

RadB13

Honorable
Nov 30, 2016
"D.O.C.P in BIOS is turned on, since my RAM showed 2133MHz, should be working @ 3200 right now".

Make sure they are running at 3200MHz and not "should". 2133MHz on a 5900X on Timepsy will give you a lower score.

There is a good chance that 3200MHz won't stick on your systems since you're using 4 sticks instead of 2. Harder to get the advertised speed using the DOCP profile and the RAM just return to 2133MHz. Sometime impossible to use the DOCP profile because of 4 sticks.

Run that userbenchmark test - https://www.userbenchmark.com/resources/download/UserBenchMark.exe

Paste the results page link here.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/40917837 These are the results from the benchmark. I have also added 3 pictures that show my current BIOS settings regarding the RAM, as well as 2 screenshots from Ryzen Master @ View: https://imgur.com/a/cWSgzHu

I did cinema 4D as well, the score there was 1196, which is below average, people online post around 1300-1400 minimum.
Also I can't figure out why I am capped at 4.2GHz... At times it shows that it can boost up to 5.050 in basic view in ryzen master. I have no issues with heating, even when gaming my temps are around 60-70 degrees.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bassman999

Bassman999

Prominent
Feb 27, 2021
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/40917837 These are the results from the benchmark. I have also added 3 pictures that show my current BIOS settings regarding the RAM, as well as 2 screenshots from Ryzen Master @ View: https://imgur.com/a/cWSgzHu

I did cinema 4D as well, the score there was 1196, which is below average, people online post around 1300-1400 minimum.
Also I can't figure out why I am capped at 4.2GHz... At times it shows that it can boost up to 5.050 in basic view in ryzen master. I have no issues with heating, even when gaming my temps are around 60-70 degrees.
Heres my results. Keep in mind I dont have a real video card yet. Hopefully really soon Ill find one.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/40918477

Which Cinebench R23 version as there are several windows choices?
I use Cinebench Release 23 Installers - Cinebench R23 Offline Installer (PC).

@RadB13
At default (BIOS) settings and RAM 3200MHz, I get following result for 5900X:
- Multi Core: about 19900
- Single Core: about 1560
*Look at these scores as average reference (is not about who has the fastest CPU here).

From your screenshot of Ryzen Master, I can see your (BIOS) settings are quite a mess -nobody can help you in that case.

RadB13

Honorable
Nov 30, 2016
How is my BIOS a mess? I literally updated my BIOS before installing every new part just so it\s all fresh, I haven't touched anything in my BIOS besides enabling DOCP and turning on ASUS Optimal Performance mode, which are 2 clicks away from being undone... What do you mean nobody can help me.

Guys, is there really nothing I could do here?

D

Deleted member 2838871

As the title says, I am worried that something is wrong with my CPU. On TimeSpy my overall score is 15 322, where 17741 is my GPU and I am getting merely 8644 for the CPU bench..I heard some rumours of 5900x cpus being called back due to some issues, is this one of them, because i thought they were temperature related..
These are my results.
https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/59511145
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/40917837 These are the results from the benchmark.

Heres my results. Keep in mind I dont have a real video card yet. Hopefully really soon Ill find one.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/40918477

You guys really need to figure this out.

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/56372942
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/38137610

Us 14nm guys aren't supposed to be able to compete with the almighty Ryzen... :LOL::LOL: (y)

(Sorry, couldn't resist. Hope the GPU gods hook you up soon)

How is my BIOS a mess? I literally updated my BIOS before installing every new part just so it\s all fresh, I haven't touched anything in my BIOS besides enabling DOCP and turning on ASUS Optimal Performance mode...
Screenshot of Ryzen Master shows (among others) following values:
PPT=395W, TDC=255A, EDC=200A
Default values should be:
PPT=142W, TDC=95A, EDC=140A

I don't know what "Optimal Performance" does, but it for sure doesn't help you to troubleshoot the performance issue. Default BIOS means, set BIOS to default and don't change anything. Once you have PC in this state, you can start looking after what's causing the problem.

Bassman999

Prominent
Feb 27, 2021

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Both Intel and amd have recommended power limits. Ryzen high wattage cpus use 142/95/140 as standard limits, PBO just sets the cpu at that limit. But vendors are free to change those limits with such things as TPU, Overdrive, PBO lvl1-3 etc which raises the potential power use limit.

I'm guessing Asus Optimized is 395/255/200, which is nothing more than setting the cpu free to use whatever it can when overclocked/pushed hard, so power itself doesn't become the limiter. Only temps.

Ryzen 5000's are different to prior Ryzens, they actually do very well, if not better, when using 4 dimms, IF they are the right kind. Zen 3 takes good advantage of dual rank dimms, not just dual channel. 4x single rank dimms will act as 2 sets of dual rank in dual channel and can see @ 10% performance gain over 2x single rank dimms. Most of the 8Gb better performance dimms like the Neo's or Trident-Z series use 3200MHz single rank at 8Gb, but at 16Gb bump that to dual rank.

So even using far less than 32Gb, 4x 8Gb dimms gets almost the same performance as 2x 16Gb dimms, but 2x 8Gb doesn't catch 2x 16Gb when using less than 16Gb.

So 4x8Gb single rank dimms is about perfect for Zen3. IF fclock and other factors are dialed in, which might not always be the case with the xmp/docp. Both gamersnexus and hardware unboxed have videos on the subject.

Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Honestly, with the way Ryzen works, you'd be better off dumping Asus optimized, PBO and the Auto OC 200MHz entirely. Then lower your voltages with negative offset as much as possible. That'll bring temps down, which benefits Ryzens strongly. You'll get almost the same cinebench scores as a max turbo solid locked core OC, at far lower temps and power usage.

My 3700x got 3723 in CB20 at stock settings 83°C. With pbo/auto OC got 4573, 87°C. With -0.2v offset no pbo/OC got 4893 at 62°C, and with a 4.4GHz all core got 5101 at 82°C.

200pts for a 20°C drop at full load, and a max of 1.325v instead of 1.54v I'll take any day. Only difference is all core boost is 4.2GHz instead of 4.4GHz, but I still see 4.4GHz across many cores otherwise.

All done per bios settings coretemp, found Ryzen Master to be somewhat buggy and unreliable.

Running all that auto voltage, auto current, maximizing clocks and then hitting the cpu with high loads and high temps is more than likely killing performance across all cores. Get the temps down and a Ryzen boosts higher. Ryzens start dropping boost limits per core by changing the multiplier, starting at 60°C. You only change that by overriding the built in boosts with a fully manual OC, leaving yourself at the mercy of voltage and current limits, which with Asus Optimized settings are high, resulting in even higher temps.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2021
Hello everyone

I recently updated my rig, i bought everything new except for some RAM and my motherboard, here are my current specs:

Ryzen 5900x
3080 FTW3 Ultra
850W Cougar GX PSU
Prime x470 Motherboard
32GB of Corsair Vengeance LPX RAM (4x8GB) @ 3200MGhz
Noctua DH15 Chromax CPU cooler

After changing so many components I am with a fresh install of Windows, which is not yet updated to the latest build, could that be an issue?
I have tried a number of things:

1. D.O.C.P in BIOS is turned on, since my RAM showed 2133MHz, should be working @ 3200 right now
  2. I turned on ASUS Optimal in my BIOS settings
  3. I tried Auto OC in AMD Ryzen Master as well as trying to manually clock the CPU to 4.8MGz with 1.325V
  4. The GPU im guessing is fine, I have only upped the temperature/power sliders to the max (didnt touch voltage)
  5. I checked my task manager, I think all 12 cores are working and selected
What else can I do? Is my CPU simply faulty, should i return it?
Hopefully someone here can help, thank you guys in advance, let me know if I missed any info that could be helpful.
Also, I am new around PC building, please go easy on me if i missed something completely :/
Hey, it seems that you have one of the CCDS off brotha. That means you are running with 6 cores. Or maybe you without SMT (multi threading) turned on. I have a 5900x as well. However, i can get above average s cores at least in some benchmarks, but i have weird behavior that i just can't fix. Thinking about changing in my chip as well via warranty, but i really would hate to turn back in an above average silicon for the same problem lol. maddening