Question Ryzen 7 3700x 4.4Ghz all core OC safe?

Dec 28, 2019
Just got my 3700x to 4.4GHz on manual OC with 1.3725v LLC medium.
The only thing I'm worrying about is the PPT is going up to 150% when running Cinebench
TDC (CPU) is hitting 128%
EDC is hitting 100%
CPU power is hitting 103w
But the Temp isn't going past 75c which is 6c lower than if I let it auto volt the CPU also I am getting like 500 more points (5227) on the benchmark.
What do you peeps think?

Reactions: lynton.bell
Dec 28, 2019
Thanks guys for the info, so you think these.
PPT
TDC (CPU)
Voltages going above 100% are fine then? That was my worry.
Btw I'm using the x570 TUF gaming board, I got it because of the beefy VRM.

Thanks guys for the info, so you think these.
PPT
TDC (CPU)
Voltages going above 100% are fine then? That was my worry.
Btw I'm using the x570 TUF gaming board, I got it because of the beefy VRM.
As long as your temps are good no problem. Temps can go to 70-75c, maybe even 80c (Tjmax is 95c) and be just fine. Only if you are on auto boost (PBO) they should go no more than 62-65c for best boost.

Reactions: Daniel B Jones
Dec 28, 2019
Gaming mostly, I wasn't getting 4.4 Ghz with auto settings even on single core and the temps was like in the 80c's as now it doesn't go even close to that high with all the cores at 4.4Ghz.

I could try tuning down the Vcore to 1.325 and see what the highest OC I could get off that, I would imagine it would be between 4.2-4.3 Some of the games I play use 4 or more cores, some don't so its a mixed load.

I do use winzip a fair amount as well. Sometimes I use blender as well.

lynton.bell

Reputable
Dec 7, 2018
hey guys. I might have a decent chip as well; think I've achieved stability at 4.3ghz @1.375 with .05 offset. don't know if it's made a difference but I've disabled PBO given x370 is old XFR/PBO. I also set both LLC settings to '1' to prevent droop. I have a Corsair h80i v2 AIO cooler. Cinebench R20: 5020 max temp I've seen is 89 degrees which I'm happy with. I might push harder for 4.35ghz next or stay where I am and lower voltage. I also want to try perhaps a bclck oc on top of this 4.3ghz result. Good to see x370/AM4 still being supported by AMD/board manufacturers

hey guys. I might have a decent chip as well; think I've achieved stability at 4.3ghz @1.375 with .05 offset. don't know if it's made a difference but I've disabled PBO given x370 is old XFR/PBO. I also set both LLC settings to '1' to prevent droop. I have a Corsair h80i v2 AIO cooler. Cinebench R20: 5020 max temp I've seen is 89 degrees which I'm happy with. I might push harder for 4.35ghz next or stay where I am and lower voltage. I also want to try perhaps a bclck oc on top of this 4.3ghz result. Good to see x370/AM4 still being supported by AMD/board manufacturers
89C?? That's pretty high, your CPU is throttling and slowing down once it hits 80C. Your PC will shutdown at 95C to prevent damage.

Keep it under 75C.

lynton.bell

Reputable
Dec 7, 2018
89C?? That's pretty high, your CPU is throttling and slowing down once it hits 80C. Your PC will shutdown at 95C to prevent damage.

Keep it under 75C.
sh!t forgot about throttle. Just checked though and throttle ceiling on these and the 2000 series is 85degrees so will have a play and get back to you

zx128k

Reputable

Keep it under 75C.

The CPU will just throttle once it reaches temp limit which is 95c. I hit +83c in prime95 with a 4.4GHz overclock. This is using a full custom loop water cooling setup and a cold day. 103 watts is very unlikely as well. I can Cinebench at 60-65c. Once you run aidia64 or prime95 that will hit 120watts. This is not bad really watts wise, (9900ks @ 5.2GHz is very high watts wise, think near 300 watts https://images.hothardware.com/contentimages/article/2914/content/power-9900ks-2.png ) it's just the cpu cores on ther die are 7nm and happen to be offset from the centre. Most of the cooling is at the centre of the IHS with my water block.

The CPU will just throttle once it reaches temp limit which is 95c. I hit +83c in prime95 with a 4.4GHz overclock. This is using a full custom loop water cooling setup and a cold day. 103 watts is very unlikely as well. I can Cinebench at 60-65c. Once you run aidia64 or prime95 that will hit 120watts. This is not bad really watts wise, (9900ks @ 5.2GHz is very high watts wise, think near 300 watts https://images.hothardware.com/contentimages/article/2914/content/power-9900ks-2.png ) it's just the cpu cores on ther die are 7nm and happen to be offset from the centre. Most of the cooling is at the centre of the IHS with my water block.
It will start throttling at 80-85C, 95C is the maximum operating temp set by AMD and the CPU will shutdown once 95C is reached.

https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-7-3700x

Last edited:

zx128k

Reputable
It will start throttling at 80-85C, 95C is the maximum operating temp set by AMD and the CPU will shutdown once 95C is reached.

The maximum boost frequency drops with temperature and is nothing to do with throttling. The amount of load on the cpu matters as well. AMD Ryzen behaves more like modern GPUs.[1] In games with stock core speeds, stock limits. I can hit all core boosts of +4.424GHz but in cinebench (I hit 63c) and other heavy load this will drop. For me 4.2-4.249GHz is normal for heavier loads. Video coding, prime95 or aida65 etc. Once I enable PBO and set scalar to x10 this all changes, it will increase a bit. Think 4.2-4.3GHz.

Hit 95c and it will throttle to stay under the temp limit, you can lower this limit in bios with PBO settings. You will drop below your normal boost speeds, very quickly. I have never hit 95c but I do hit 80c+ with the right loads. For me it does not throttle between 80-85c [2] (see 4.4GHz all core OC) but for loads that are heavy the normal all core clocks at stock are just above 4.2GHz for my 3800x.

[1] Coolers & Cases Really Matter for Ryzen 3000 CPUs | Thermal Scaling & Frequency
We’re controlling CPU temperatures within a range of about (positive) 84 degrees Celsius Tdie down to (minus) -80 degrees Celsius Tpot, or LN2 pot temperature, because Tdie sensors are lost at about 0 degrees.

[2] https://www.gamersnexus.net/images/media/2019/CPUs/ryzen-cold/amd-ryzen-3900x_cold-scale_all.png
You can see in the graph that frequency drops a small amount with temperature up to 84c. No throttling appears to take place.

zx128k

Reputable
I don't have a 3700X but users on reddit reported PC shutdown at 95C. Throttling starts at 85C then as lynton pointed out.

I can hit 83-85c all the time when I run prime95 small fft (fft 8k @ 4.4GHz 3800x) and I don't throttle. I am using the 3800x but you will have a reduced all cores clock speed for heavy loads by design. This is regardless of CPU temperatures.

VRM's can overheat too and cause you to throttle as well and then cause your motherboard to shut down your system if you hit the VRMs maximum limits. With my motherboard's VRMs being so overkill I can't overheat and throttle that way with a 4.45GHz all core overclock. Basically my VRM's never hit higher than 40c and average around 26c at the moment.

The main issue with the 3700x is that the cpu cooler is for a 65 watt TDP cpu. With the 3800x the cooler is for a 105 watt TDP cpu. Overclocking a 3700x to a 3800x will require better cooling. With some motherboards you need good air flow over the VRMs.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBAeyzaRPBs

Last edited:
I can hit 83-85c all the time when I run prime95 small fft (fft 8k @ 4.4GHz 3800x) and I don't throttle. I am using the 3800x but you will have a reduced all cores clock speed for heavy loads by design. This is regardless of CPU temperatures.

VRM's can overheat too and cause you to throttle as well and then cause your motherboard to shut down your system if you hit the VRMs maximum limits. With my motherboard's VRMs being so overkill I can't overheat and throttle that way with a 4.45GHz all core overclock. Basically my VRM's never hit higher than 40c and average around 26c at the moment.

The main issue with the 3700x is that the cpu cooler is for a 65 watt TDP cpu. With the 3800x the cooler is for a 105 watt TDP cpu. Overclocking a 3700x to a 3800x will require better cooling. With some motherboards you need good air flow over the VRMs.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBAeyzaRPBs
Yea VRM heat easily on low-end boards, that's why I have a motherboard with better VRM coming. My current motherboard crashes on Prime95 on anything over stock, PC shutdown. I found a useful list of VRM quality and OC on different motherboards:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...IVNyMatydkpFA/htmlview?sle=true#gid=639584818

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wmsTYK9Z3-jUX5LGRoFnsZYZiW1pfiDZnKCjaXyzd1o/htmlview#

lynton.bell

Reputable
Dec 7, 2018
@zx128k I think some of the stuff you describe above e.g. giving PBO a mention refers to boost clocks of some cores whereas I'm focussing on all-core overclocking here to leverage the surviving advantage of x370 not having the PBO2/XFR2 of newer gen chipsets (if that even makes a huge difference). I can also be assured that I won't get downclocking to e.g. 4ghz all-core when I'm playing DX12 games like BFV, DeusExMD, FarCry5/NewDawn, Division2 to name a few. These ramp up core/thread count use as any modern, well designed game architecture/engine should so I want to get the max all-core I can to minimise bottleneck onto the GPU. re VRM comments, the ASRock Taichi has some superb power delivery which was why I selected that board originally so that should be fine. As mentioned I've got the Corsair h80iV2 cooler attached which is serving just fine, I'd probably not do much better with a triple cooler. Further findings (@Zizo007 ): I optimised and think I'm settled at: 1.425v CPU @4300mhz (got rid of the 'offset' set to 'auto'), to get temps to stay at <=80degrees, I settled on LLC of 3 (might be 'medium' on some boards). LLC 4 or 5 caused CinebenchR20 to fail and btw scores still around the 5k mark so I'm happy. Max temps I've seen gaming, benchmarking etc after hours is a max of 79degrees as reported in hwmonitor so I'm pretty sure there's no throttling going on now. Also getting some great fps in games I've tried benching paired with the Vega VII e.g. 115fps Witcher3 1440p ultra (hairworks off). Thanks for feedback both (y)

Reactions: Zizo007
@zx128k I think some of the stuff you describe above e.g. giving PBO a mention refers to boost clocks of some cores whereas I'm focussing on all-core overclocking here to leverage the surviving advantage of x370 not having the PBO2/XFR2 of newer gen chipsets (if that even makes a huge difference). I can also be assured that I won't get downclocking to e.g. 4ghz all-core when I'm playing DX12 games like BFV, DeusExMD, FarCry5/NewDawn, Division2 to name a few. These ramp up core/thread count use as any modern, well designed game architecture/engine should so I want to get the max all-core I can to minimise bottleneck onto the GPU. re VRM comments, the ASRock Taichi has some superb power delivery which was why I selected that board originally so that should be fine. As mentioned I've got the Corsair h80iV2 cooler attached which is serving just fine, I'd probably not do much better with a triple cooler. Further findings (@Zizo007 ): I optimised and think I'm settled at: 1.425v CPU @4300mhz (got rid of the 'offset' set to 'auto'), to get temps to stay at <=80degrees, I settled on LLC of 3 (might be 'medium' on some boards). LLC 4 or 5 caused CinebenchR20 to fail and btw scores still around the 5k mark so I'm happy. Max temps I've seen gaming, benchmarking etc after hours is a max of 79degrees as reported in hwmonitor so I'm pretty sure there's no throttling going on now. Also getting some great fps in games I've tried benching paired with the Vega VII e.g. 115fps Witcher3 1440p ultra (hairworks off). Thanks for feedback both (y)
The Taichi is one of the best motherboards, it can OC a 3950X with ease.

lynton.bell

Reputable
Dec 7, 2018
The x570 Taichi BIOS GUI seems like it was lifted from an Intel board. It sometimes refers to Intel cpus. It's not the easiest BIOS I have ever used.
I'm sure the x370 will have been much the same. one thing I'd have changed is 'one-click' overclock options rather than making you work for it. I had that on an old z170 board