[SOLVED] Ryzen 7 3700x overheating even after troubleshooting everything ?

Jan 3, 2023
My CPU started overheating and crashed my PC when playing certain games at high quality, so I changed thermal paste, and it was working fine for a while but it overheated again last night just from having browser open.

I have:
  • Changed thermal paste as I stated (it was my first time ever doing this but I'm pretty sure I did it correctly)
  • Dusted
  • Ventilation is fine
  • Fan speeds have always been on max
She idles around 45C-50C. This is too high correct?

Do I need to buy AIO at this point? Is there something else I can try to do first?

I would not jump to the conclusion of needing an AiO, as the 3700X is a 65W CPU it can be cooled with less. There are a few air coolers that should be a nice upgrade over whatever Cooler Master cooler you have. However, AiOs do tend to cool quite well.

Sounds like CyberPower may have stuck a budget-oriented cooler on there. It would be nice to know what cooler you have..

Jan 3, 2023
I would not jump to the conclusion of needing an AiO, as the 3700X is a 65W CPU it can be cooled with less. There are a few air coolers that should be a nice upgrade over whatever Cooler Master cooler you have. However, AiOs do tend to cool quite well.

Sounds like CyberPower may have stuck a budget-oriented cooler on there. It would be nice to know what cooler you have..
If model numbers are typically printed onto the coolers then I can open my PC and read it, or if there's some software that will tell me what model I have then I would of course prefer to check that way.

If the cooler being the issue is the most likely culprit then I'll just go straight to upgrading it.

If model numbers are typically printed onto the coolers then I can open my PC and read it, or if there's some software that will tell me what model I have then I would of course prefer to check that way.

If the cooler being the issue is the most likely culprit then I'll just go straight to upgrading it.
You won't find any model printed on it and you won't find it in a software reading. You'd kinda have to compare it with other coolers and see which one it is. I'd like to know what cooler you have before jumping straight to upgrading it. Although, most of the time overheating is an issue with the cooler in some way. Sometimes, it is simply not properly installed or has wiggled loose.

If you could take a picture of the cooler and upload to an image hosting site (eg. imgur.com) and share it here, we might have further insight into your situation.

Also, you haven't changed any of the settings in the BIOS or used AMD Overdrive or something similar have you?

Jan 3, 2023
You won't find any model printed on it and you won't find it in a software reading. You'd kinda have to compare it with other coolers and see which one it is. I'd like to know what cooler you have before jumping straight to upgrading it. Although, most of the time overheating is an issue with the cooler in some way. Sometimes, it is simply not properly installed or has wiggled loose.

If you could take a picture of the cooler and upload to an image hosting site (eg. imgur.com) and share it here, we might have further insight into your situation.

Also, you haven't changed any of the settings in the BIOS or used AMD Overdrive or something similar have you?

Imgur link to pics

I don't think I've ever changed anything in the BIOS.

I see that I have MSI Afterburner installed but I can't remember what I used it for.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
you can take a picture and use an image hosting site to share the picture here. chances are it's something along the lines of a Hyper 212 if it's a Cooler Master.

The Hyper 212 should be plenty enough, especially if you are not overclocking.

It's possible that Afterburner just came pre-installed with the system (assuming you haven't done a clean install yourself since owning the system)

Afterburner is used for overclocking graphics cards, but also is used by a lot of people to monitor the system and performance in games since it comes packaged with Riva Tuner Statistics Server (RTSS).

As mentioned, it could be that the cooler is not making proper enough contact with the CPU so there isn't good enough thermal transfer. (it's important to not overdo it with the thermal paste. there is such a thing as too much)

It's possible that said PC case is trash and has no proper airflow causing the case to build up heat inside and overheat things (to test this out, try taking off the side panel and seeing if it'll overheat that way)

As it stands, the 3700x doesn't have the coolest operating temps, and at idle isn't the coolest either. I'm using a 280mm AiO from NZXT on mine, and just sitting here on the desktop typing this message with the browser open it's sitting at about 35c with fluctuations up to 40c, so being in the 40s with a budget air cooler is totally normal as far as I am concerned.

But you do say it overheats, however, you have not given any info as to how it is doing so. All you've said so far is it's idle temp, but have not shared what temps it goes up to when you say it is overheating.
Also haven't told us how you know exactly that it is overheating in the first place.
Are there overheating symptoms such as glitches and hitches to games, software crashes and blue screens, or something else?

Jan 3, 2023
you can take a picture and use an image hosting site to share the picture here. chances are it's something along the lines of a Hyper 212 if it's a Cooler Master.

The Hyper 212 should be plenty enough, especially if you are not overclocking.

It's possible that Afterburner just came pre-installed with the system (assuming you haven't done a clean install yourself since owning the system)

Afterburner is used for overclocking graphics cards, but also is used by a lot of people to monitor the system and performance in games since it comes packaged with Riva Tuner Statistics Server (RTSS).

As mentioned, it could be that the cooler is not making proper enough contact with the CPU so there isn't good enough thermal transfer. (it's important to not overdo it with the thermal paste. there is such a thing as too much)

It's possible that said PC case is trash and has no proper airflow causing the case to build up heat inside and overheat things (to test this out, try taking off the side panel and seeing if it'll overheat that way)

As it stands, the 3700x doesn't have the coolest operating temps, and at idle isn't the coolest either. I'm using a 280mm AiO from NZXT on mine, and just sitting here on the desktop typing this message with the browser open it's sitting at about 35c with fluctuations up to 40c, so being in the 40s with a budget air cooler is totally normal as far as I am concerned.

But you do say it overheats, however, you have not given any info as to how it is doing so. All you've said so far is it's idle temp, but have not shared what temps it goes up to when you say it is overheating.
Also haven't told us how you know exactly that it is overheating in the first place.
Are there overheating symptoms such as glitches and hitches to games, software crashes and blue screens, or something else?

Imgur link to pics of cooler

I don't know what temp it goes up to when my PC crashes because my screen goes black . However, I have learned since making this post that I can use a program called HWiNFO64 to record a log for me. I will post the results here next time my PC crashes.

Fair enough, I do not exactly know that overheating is the cause of the crash in the first place. I assumed that was the issue since my CPU would run quite hot (85+) when running certain games at high settings, and I would also monitor my GPU temp and it's always at a normal range.

To answer your question, no there is no glitches/hitches/software crashes/blue screens. When the crash occurs, I lose monitor output, and something inside my case sounds like it's revving up. It's kinda scary sounding. I can take a video of it next time it happens (should have done this in the first place). What are the other possibilities for my issue? I'm a noob when it comes to computer stuff.

Last edited:
Imgur link to pics of cooler

I don't know what temp it goes up to when my PC crashes because my screen goes black . However, I have learned since making this post that I can use a program called HWiNFO64 to record a log for me. I will post the results here next time my PC crashes.

Fair enough, I do not exactly know that overheating is the cause of the crash in the first place. I assumed that was the issue since my CPU would run quite hot (85+) when running certain games at high settings, and I would also monitor my GPU temp and it's always at a normal range.

To answer your question, no there is no glitches/hitches/software crashes/blue screens. When the crash occurs, I lose monitor output, and something inside my case sounds like it's revving up. It's kinda scary sounding. I can take a video of it next time it happens (should have done this in the first place). What are the other possibilities for my issue? I'm a noob when it comes to computer stuff.

That's a terrible cooler, replace it and that will resolve your issue. I can't believe how bad that is, like others was expecting at least a Hyper 212. This is the kind of thing system integrators use to cheap out.

Get a decent cooler and you'll be good, I wouldn't have even bothered repasting then refitting that one.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!

Jan 3, 2023
That's a terrible cooler, replace it and that will resolve your issue. I can't believe how bad that is, like others was expecting at least a Hyper 212. This is the kind of thing system integrators use to cheap out.

Get a decent cooler and you'll be good, I wouldn't have even bothered repasting then refitting that one.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news!

Not the worse news. If the Hyper 212 is good enough, then it should only be a $40-$50 investment to fix the issue.

Thanks everyone for the help!

Not the worse news. If the Hyper 212 is good enough, then it should only be a $40-$50 investment to fix the issue.

Yeah, a Hyper 212 is a decent price and will do just fine on a 3700x. I used to have a 3700x, it's a marvellous chip for the performance it gives for little power consumption. A Hyper 212 or similar will also be way quieter, your ears will thank you.

There are newer, better coolers than the Hyper 212 for less money. The Hyper 212 Evo was a good cooler for $30-$35 over the past 15 years or so, but I believe the price has risen to the point of it being far less enticing.

Check out these coolers for the best bang for your buck. You will find a similar cooler from both Thermalright and Deepcool listed in the results from Gamers Nexus as being a little better than the Hyper 212 in some tests. From what I can tell, these two coolers simply replaced the ones reviewed in the video, the Assassin Spirit and the Deepcool AK400. Also note that both coolers come in a variety of color and RGB lighting options.

Also see Tom's Hardware review on the Deepcool AG400. https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/deepcool-ag400/2

CPU Cooler: Thermalright Assassin X 120 Refined SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($19.89 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool AG400 75.89 CFM CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Amazon)

LWtZwWB.png

Last edited:
Reactions: John Chesterfield