Question Ryzen 7 5800x keeps shutting down at 70°C

xoB

Mar 3, 2023
So today i installed 5800x but when i tried to game my PC kept shutting down. So i turned on MSI Afterburners Screen Display to see when it shuts down and for like a minute it sat around 68 and then it shut down again. I did have to update my BIOS for the new cpu to work and haven't touched anything there so maybe the issue lies there?

Kona45primo

Honorable
Jan 16, 2021
If you have some sort of external fan, perhaps open up the side of the case and let it blow in, see if that changes anything.

Another option is to download Ryzen master and enable Eco Mode. That will limit the power to the CPU, shouldn't effect games much but should keep the CPU and VRM's at a better temp.

What CPU cooler are you running?

xoB

Mar 3, 2023
Alright so i changed my PSU i went with Corsair RMx Series RM750x 750w but the shut downs still happen.

EDIT: i did more research and i think i've gotten cpu to work, i think. When playing the game that caused my pc to shutdown after playing it for a minute i can now play it for 30 minutes with temperature being constantly around 55-60 but pc still shuts down and i think my GPU is causing it. My GPU temperature goes up to 85 fast and that makes the gpu fan go to 100 speed and than temps go to 71 and after a minute it's back to 80+ and that process happens every 3-5 minutes until PC shuts down.

Last edited: