[SOLVED] Ryzen 7 5800X not going to boost clock, nor lowering clocks with zero load

Status
Not open for further replies.

piggyplayz

Reputable
Feb 16, 2018
Hi, sorry if I ask any stupid questions, its my first proper build but not too experienced. I've looked for a lot of solutions but couldn't find any that worked so I thought I'd ask.

I have a Ryzen 7 5800X cpu, advertised at 3.6GHz base and up to 4.8GHz boost clocks. Out of the box, it was running at 4.2GHz, at all times. Even under 100% load and under zero load. Installing Ryzen Master made no difference, despite whatever setting I chose. Even if I changed it to "Auto OC" it changed the Max clock to 4.95GHz (displayed in the software), but the actual clock speed still didnt go beyond the 4.2GHz under load. One thing to note, when I had some sort of setup applied and Ryzen Master open, under low loads some cores did drop to 3.6GHz.

Chaning the TPO settings in the BIOS put it to 4.3GHz, which once again didnt change. Also changed voltage to 1.2V instead of the deafult 1.1V. I also tried enabling PBO in the BIOS as well as in Ryzen Master and it made zero difference in performance or clock speeds.

I can manually change clock speeds in the BIOS, just tried 4.5GHz. It automatically put it up to 1.3V too, not sure if it is meant to automatically do that or not. Clock speeds did go to 4.5GHz, and stayed there even at idle.

My setup for any info:

Mobo: ROG Strix x570-F
Ram: G-skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3600MHz
PSU: 850W corsair psu
Cooling: 280mm kraken AIO

Temps definitely arent the issue. At 4.3GHz it stabilises at 65C under full load. At 4.5GHz (and the auto voltage increase) it stabilises at 71C. I have set my RAM to 3600 in the BIOS and made sure windows CPU power settings are adjusted too (10% minimum, 100% maximum)

Thank you for your time, please let me know if this is normal or if you have any suggestions.

Solution
According to your motherboards support page, to run the 5800X you need at least version 2606. Do you have CPU-Z installed on your PC? You can find what version you have on there.

piggyplayz

Reputable
Feb 16, 2018
According to your motherboards support page, to run the 5800X you need at least version 2606. Do you have CPU-Z installed on your PC? You can find what version you have on there.

So I think it actually fixed it. I found out it was really like 3000 something before, but I updated it just in case, now its 4204. Now the voltage and clock speeds adjust automatically, all the way down to 3.6 at idle and up to 4.5 at load (I did read somewhere that to get up to the full 4.8GHz advertised, it only does it with PBO enabled, which atm i don't have, so that should be fine). Thanks for the help :)

Reactions: kurdtnz
Sep 28, 2022
So I think it actually fixed it. I found out it was really like 3000 something before, but I updated it just in case, now its 4204. Now the voltage and clock speeds adjust automatically, all the way down to 3.6 at idle and up to 4.5 at load (I did read somewhere that to get up to the full 4.8GHz advertised, it only does it with PBO enabled, which atm i don't have, so that should be fine). Thanks for the help :)
How did you update bios ?
I have same problem and trying to find solution

Status
Not open for further replies.