Question Ryzen 7600 slow cooling down

Taigama

Reputable
Sep 16, 2019
Hello.
- I have a comparison between i5 13400F and r5 7600.
- Benchmark was equally performance (not much different).
- The power consumsion is also same same, 80+W on heavy work task and 90W on stress test.
- Same cooling: ID-Cooling SE 226 and it's paste.
- Multiple-times placement and testing for ensurance the installation of cooler is not wrong.

This is the temperature graph of i5 13400F
psO0KY6.jpg

This is the temperature graph of r5 7600
HTYZgaj.jpg

- People said that the Ryzen 7000 series is hot by design, so, the thing I concern is: it's cooling down is very slow!
- I also have r7 3700X, it's graph is jagged like the i5, cooling down much faster than this r5 7600.
- Is this normal? Or I need to ask for a replacement?

Thank you very much.

A few things off the top of my head that could explain the higher temperature:
  • The Ryzen you have seems to be idling at a higher power draw. Presuming 120 is the maximum on the graph, it's sitting at 50W after the testing. You didn't post the same graph for the i5-13400F, but looking at a review that has CPU-only power consumption, it doesn't look like it'd be consuming a lot of power while idle
  • Tctl/Tdie reports the hottest part of the processor. There may be something that's keeping a core busy
  • For some reason, AMD shifted the center point of how the dies are laid out for Zen 4 based processors vs. Zen 2/3 based ones:
    hqdefault.jpg

This can be problematic with certain coolers because they're designed with the expectation most of the heat is going to come from the center of the processor. In this case, most of the heat on a Zen 4 processor is coming from the side.

Noctua made a offset bracket to address this, and while Noctua mentioned it only cooling off an additional 1-3C, it does show there are issues with how to cool Zen 4 based processors when using a traditional setup.

Last edited:
Reactions: Taigama

Taigama

Reputable
Sep 16, 2019
A few things off the top of my head that could explain the higher temperature:
  • The Ryzen you have seems to be idling at a higher power draw. Presuming 120 is the maximum on the graph, it's sitting at 50W after the testing. You didn't post the same graph for the i5-13400F, but looking at a review that has CPU-only power consumption, it doesn't look like it'd be consuming a lot of power while idle
  • Tctl/Tdie reports the hottest part of the processor. There may be something that's keeping a core busy
  • For some reason, AMD shifted the center point of how the dies are laid out for Zen 4 based processors vs. Zen 2/3 based ones:
    hqdefault.jpg

This can be problematic with certain coolers because they're designed with the expectation most of the heat is going to come from the center of the processor. In this case, most of the heat on a Zen 4 processor is coming from the side.

Noctua made a offset bracket to address this, and while Noctua mentioned it only cooling off an additional 1-3C, it does show there are issues with how to cool Zen 4 based processors when using a traditional setup.
Sorry I was focusing about the cooling down speed of the cpu so I didn't notice the idle power consumtion.
- i5 13400F is 5~10W during idle (thank to the E cores I think), temperature ~35 degree, fan speed ~750 RPM (max 1800)
- r5 7600 is ~ 28W during idle, temperature ~49 degree, fan speed ~750 RPM (max 1800)

Thank you.

I'd read the link you provided and they said the IHS of the Ryzen is thicker. May be that is the reason why temperature cooling down slower?

Reactions: Hotrod2go