Question Ryzen 9 5900HX drops to 400mhz constantly, sometimes whilst gaming and most of the time just using the laptop as a laptop. (rog strix g513qm-hf326t)

Jul 21, 2024
Hi guys, as the title says my gaming laptop cpu will downclock itself to 400mhz mainly whilst not gaming. It can happen during games but it is so quick that it's just a minor stutter that i barely notice unless I have HWINFO open. I will attatch a photo which shows me watching a YouTube video at 720p60fps, downloading a game via steam in the background and hwinfo open showing the temps and core clocks. HWINFO says that it is not thermal throttling on the HTC, PROCHOT CPU and PROCHOT EXT. I am not that well educated in the ins and outs of the pc world.

I have done much digging and have not been able to find a solution for this, i have even downgraded from win11 to win10 and the issue didn't really appear until i got all my apps/games back which made me belieive it could be software related but i am not sure what it could be (potentially armoury crate?)

This issue seems to happen when the laptop is being pushed but weirdly not often whilst gaming, for example i tried streaming with OBS (just my webcam no gaming) and the cpu was pegged at 400mhz almost all the time.

One other issue that i came across was one day my laptop stopped charging and the power supply brick was hot to the touch basically couldn't hold it for more than 5 seconds due to it falling behind a couch cushion, i let the brick cool down and plugged it in again to it charging fine. Not sure if that could of contributed.

I have recently repasted the cpu/gpu, the cpu did come with liquid metal from the factory but the temps were getting hot and i repasted with Arctic mx-6 thermal paste whilst also repasting other vital chips and gpu memory.

SPECS:

Rog Strix g513qm-hf326t

Ryzen 9 5900hx with newly pasted arctic mx-6 (previously liquid metal)

24gb ddr4 ram

rtx 3060 6gb 130w (newly repasted with paste stated above)

1tb SAMSUNG MZVLQ1T0HBLB-00B00

I also pair the laptop with a 1440p 144hz monitor via hdmi

Any help on this would be massively appreciated as this is beyond annoying.

Thank you
ryzen-9-5900hx-drops-to-400mhz-constantly-sometimes-whilst-v0-5si24rfl5ydd1.jpg

@Mwanz
Many laptops with Intel CPUs have the exact same problem. Intel calls this BD PROCHOT or bidirectional processor hot. I think Ryzen calls this PROCHOT External which sounds like the same thing.

This feature allows sensors external to the CPU to force full throttling just as if the processor was hot even when the processor is not hot at all.

Intel owners can use ThrottleStop to disable BD PROCHOT. I have never heard of any similar tool for AMD. One cheap sensor can fail and you are left with an unusable laptop that is locked to 400 MHz.