GioBarca

Honorable
Jan 1, 2015
So basically, today I upgraded my PC from the Ryzen 5 3600 to the Ryzen 9 5900X, the stock cooler to the NZXT Kraken X63 and the case from a NZXT S340 Elite to the Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB.

My other specs are:
MoBo: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge WiFi
GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Super
SSD's: 2x Samsung 860 EVO
PSU: Corsair RM750x

Well, when starting the PC the BIOS instantly gives me a CPU Overheating alert. I go into the BIOS, see the CPU rise to 88C on which it instantly shuts down. The RGB on the pump and the fans also didn't work.

First I checked if all the cables were attached properly, and apart from the USB-cable to the pump which wasn't properly inserted into the MoBo, I reinserted it, and restarted my PC.

First thing I noticed was that the RGB worked, but also that the fans were running a little quieter. However, the CPU still instantly overheated.

Then I took off the pump from the CPU to see if it even made contact. After looking at the thermal paste, which was spread evenly across both surfaces, I reattached the pump to the CPU and also reattached the cables leading into the pump and restarted again. (I'm guessing I also have to replace thermal paste now as well, right?)

But, the RGB suddenly didn't work anymore. And the fans were again somewhat louder, so at this point I was at a loss for words. I also touched the pump to see if I could feel it work or blow or whatever it does, and it did seem to be moving. So honestly I have no clue, right now.

I'll also add that the radiator fans do work and that the ambient temperature in my apartment is 34C, as it is a hot summers day where I live.

What should I do next?

So to reiterate, the CPU and cooler are both brand new.

Thanks for the help :)

Solution
a 3600 stock cooler on a 5900X?

That should prove interesting...(it will certainly test out the flexibility of assorted temperature/clock speed algorithms!)
It wont be optimum for sure, but will run cooler than 88c at idle like OP has currently.
I have a prebilt with a 5600 that came with a stock cooler and it never exceeds 67c.
I wouldn't suggest benchmarking with it, but internet surfing till a new cable comes should be fine

Bassman999

Prominent
Feb 27, 2021
Did you use the stock thermal paste pre-applied to the X-63?
When you took it apart was the thermal paste spread out over the cpu?
The pump needs to be attached to a fan header above it, ans do the radiator fans.
Also the angled power connector that plugs into the pump terminates into a USB header probably at the opposite end on the mb.

GioBarca

Honorable
Jan 1, 2015
Did you use the stock thermal paste pre-applied to the X-63?
When you took it apart was the thermal paste spread out over the cpu?
The pump needs to be attached to a fan header above it, ans do the radiator fans.
Also the angled power connector that plugs into the pump terminates into a USB header probably at the opposite end on the mb.

Yes, I did use the stock thermal paste.
Yes, it was spread out. (Except for one teeny-tiny spot, which was less than a millimeter across).
Every single cable is attached.
The power connector isn't angled tho, I'll add. But it is attached to a USB 2.0 header.

Reactions: Bassman999

GioBarca

Honorable
Jan 1, 2015
I think I figured it out. I think the pump cable which attaches to the header is broken.

So basically, when I just tested this I had the pump connected to CPU_FAN 1 and the fans to AIO_PUMP 1 (which is wrong way around, but hear me out.)

In this configuration, I went into the BIOS to the fan settings and saw this:
CPU: 0 RPM
PUMP: 800 (or something) RPM

But I then switched the cables around, so pump to AIO_PUMP 1 and the fans to CPU_FAN 1, I then saw this:
CPU: 800 (or something) RPM
PUMP: 0 RPM

So i think the pump cable is broken. This also explains why the radiator fans work, and the RGB doesn't.

Reactions: Bassman999

Bassman999

Prominent
Feb 27, 2021
I think I figured it out. I think the pump cable which attaches to the header is broken.

So basically, when I just tested this I had the pump connected to CPU_FAN 1 and the fans to AIO_PUMP 1 (which is wrong way around, but hear me out.)

In this configuration, I went into the BIOS to the fan settings and saw this:
CPU: 0 RPM
PUMP: 800 (or something) RPM

But I then switched the cables around, so pump to AIO_PUMP 1 and the fans to CPU_FAN 1, I then saw this:
CPU: 800 (or something) RPM
PUMP: 0 RPM

So i think the pump cable is broken. This also explains why the radiator fans work, and the RGB doesn't.
RGB on the fans not working or the display on the pump?

Bassman999

Prominent
Feb 27, 2021
Neither.
The fans themselves do work, but the RGB doesn't. And on the pump nothing works.

Although RGB did work for a brief moment, as I explained in the original post.
Yeah I agree then it sounds like a bad cable or bad USB header
You can use the stock cooler from the 3600 temporarily I guess till you get the Kracken sorted

Bassman999

Prominent
Feb 27, 2021
a 3600 stock cooler on a 5900X?

That should prove interesting...(it will certainly test out the flexibility of assorted temperature/clock speed algorithms!)
It wont be optimum for sure, but will run cooler than 88c at idle like OP has currently.
I have a prebilt with a 5600 that came with a stock cooler and it never exceeds 67c.
I wouldn't suggest benchmarking with it, but internet surfing till a new cable comes should be fine

Solution