Question Ryzen, Asus and Ram no post/black screen/yellow light error on motherboard. How I fixed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 30, 2019
If anyone is running into trouble with a new Ryzen build that won't post and gives a DRAM error (yellow led on mobo) on the first startup with no post/black screen.
Might have a solution for you.
I got my Strix B450F mobo yesterday with 2x8gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 ram and Ryzen 5 3600.
All installed, no post with yellow light.
What I did to fix it:
  1. Unplug PC and clear CMOS - Short the jumper that says CLRTC at the bottom of the board for about 5-10 seconds.
  2. Move your ram to slots A2 and B2 instead of A1 and B1, there are some weird compatibility issue between Ryzen and some memory manufacturers. Plug PC back in and power up.
  3. Your PC should post now. However the ram will default to 2133. In the BIOS set AI Overclock Tuner to D.O.C.P standard (this just sets things to optimal settings), set memory freq to whatever mhz your ram is rated for ( when you set the AI Overclock it should default to this, just double check) and DRAM voltage to 1.35V.
  4. Save and restart.
Hope this helps. Took me a good few hours to figure out but now my PC's flying!

Regards

Last edited:
Reactions: Kazzong and DMAN999
Jul 30, 2019
My amber dram led is still lighting up. Is it still nessescary to short the jumper? I have only reset the CMOS. I also have tried all the ram possibilities I can think of and still have this problem. I have a x570 mobo and corsair vengence 3200 mhz 32gb and a ryzen 3700x. This my first build with all parts being new. Is something DOA?

Jul 30, 2019
My amber dram led is still lighting up. Is it still nessescary to short the jumper? I have only reset the CMOS. I also have tried all the ram possibilities I can think of and still have this problem. I have a x570 mobo and corsair vengence 3200 mhz 32gb and a ryzen 3700x. This my first build with all parts being new. Is something DOA?
I definitely had to short the jumper to reset the bios. Not sure if this solution will work for the x570 mobo but it might.
I found if you reset the CMOS the amber light will light up for a few seconds, then it cycles between red, white and amber a few times, it eventually stops on white and your Pc should post then, just give it some time. Also the A2 and B2 ram slots are the slots I had to use to get it to work properly.

Jul 30, 2019
I definitely had to short the jumper to reset the bios. Not sure if this solution will work for the x570 mobo but it might.
I found if you reset the CMOS the amber light will light up for a few seconds, then it cycles between red, white and amber a few times, it eventually stops on white and your Pc should post then, just give it some time. Also the A2 and B2 ram slots are the slots I had to use to get it to work properly.
The thing is that it doesnt cycle between red at all. Just soild amber. And I have tried different ram combinations

Jul 30, 2019
Apologies if this is a dumb question, but did you just jumper the CLRTC for just a few seconds and removed it again after switching it on right? Another problem that I see a few people have is the RS switch for some reason can cause issues, sounds silly but it seemed to have worked for some to remove the reset SW connector. Try individual ram sticks alone in A2 if you haven't yet as well.

Jul 30, 2019
Apologies if this is a dumb question, but did you just jumper the CLRTC for just a few seconds and removed it again after switching it on right? Another problem that I see a few people have is the RS switch for some reason can cause issues, sounds silly but it seemed to have worked for some to remove the reset SW connector. Try individual ram sticks alone in A2 if you haven't yet as well.
Yes I removed it before I plugged it on. I dont have a reset switch on my front panel connectors either. I have also tried single ram stick on every DIMM slot.

Jul 30, 2019
Yes I removed it before I plugged it on. I dont have a reset switch on my front panel connectors either. I have also tried single ram stick on every DIMM slot.
It is possible that the ram is not compatible with the motherboard. Can you borrow ram somewhere of a different brand to test?

Aug 6, 2019
Hello @Meathammer ! I am having this exact issue. Which RAM sticks are you using? I've got the Vengeance RGB Pro 2x8GB 3200MHz kit... And am getting the yellow DRAM LED with my r5 3600x and ROG STRIX B450-F mobo. Ordered some HyperX memory today which is arriving tomorrow and mentioned a couple of times on the QVL. I don't think my motherboard has the correct BIOS version either, and so at the moment AMD's boot kit CPU (Athlon 200GE) is currently installed. I'm in an absolute mess and any help would be very much appreciated :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS