Question Ryzen Gen 2 vs Gen 3 performance Q's

tertmagert

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2013
Hello,

I game on a 1440p 144hz G-sync monitory.

I currently have a Ryzen 2700x and RTX 2080. On AAA titles like battlefield, pubg and other graphically intense games I usually hit between 80-120fps.

Im curious if the rumored specs on the Ryzen Gen 3 3700x (4.2ghz operating with 5ghz boost) would provide a significant FPS bump over my Ryzen 2700x (3.7ghz operating speed with 4.2 boost I think). I cannot afford an intel 9900k and if the 3700x is going to hit that 300-330 dollar mark and outperform the 9900k it makes sense to me to switch if I am gaining a significant fps bump.

Thoughts on the ryzen gen 2 to gen 3 please?

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
All specs and pricing info on Ryzen 3xxx CPUs are just rumours at this point. Given that you already have a good CPU, just wait until 3rd Gen Ryzen is released and benchmarks come out and decide if it's worth it for you to upgrade then.

We don't really know what gaming improvements 3rd gen Ryzen will bring, all we have are rumours that may or may not be confirmed at CES in about a week. Even if the rumours are confirmed we won't know what performance is like for certain until independent benchmarks are done which won't be until close to retail release which probably won't be until March or April.

All I can say for sure is that 80-120FPS is about the performance you'd expect for an RTX 2080 at 1440p if you are playing at ultra settings on newer games. As such, you are probably more GPU limited and a CPU upgrade may not be hugely beneficial to you unless you drop settings to get higher framerates.