Question Ryzen Master Auto OC or manual OC?

Jan 3, 2020
Hi Guys,

New to the site, and not particularly familiar with overclocking. Just built a new PC, and am wondering how much more performance I can get out of it. I am using the Auto OC function in Ryzen Master currently and am idling around 32C. I feel like there is a lot of room to push with the big liquid cooler.

Also noticed in CPU-Z it says my RAM is only running at 1796.4MHz and then, in the next tab says DDR4-2666(1333MHz).
I have XMP enabled in bios, and it should be clocking around 3500MHz if I'm not mistaken.

System is:
CPU -Ryzen 7 3700X
Mobo - Gigabyte AORUS X570
RAM - 32Gb Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz RAM
GPU - Radeon 5700XT ROG
Case - Thermaltake P3
Cooling - Coolermaster MasterLiquid ML360R
PSU - Corsair GS800

Thanks in advance, look forward to contributing to this community!

Justin

throwawayaccnt

Reputable
Apr 20, 2016
Hi Guys,

New to the site, and not particularly familiar with overclocking. Just built a new PC, and am wondering how much more performance I can get out of it. I am using the Auto OC function in Ryzen Master currently and am idling around 32C. I feel like there is a lot of room to push with the big liquid cooler.

Also noticed in CPU-Z it says my RAM is only running at 1796.4MHz and then, in the next tab says DDR4-2666(1333MHz).
I have XMP enabled in bios, and it should be clocking around 3500MHz if I'm not mistaken.

System is:
CPU -Ryzen 7 3700X
Mobo - Gigabyte AORUS X570
RAM - 32Gb Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz RAM
GPU - Radeon 5700XT ROG
Case - Thermaltake P3
Cooling - Coolermaster MasterLiquid ML360R
PSU - Corsair GS800

Thanks in advance, look forward to contributing to this community!

Justin
Can't speak to your OC question but your RAM is fine, multiple 1796.4MHzx2 = 3500MHz

bryanc723

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2015
Idle temp isn't really relevant when trying to OC unless it is already high. Stress test it under load for a few hours to see if your temps remain safe. Then step up and do it again. For what you're doing just tinkering around I would say the auto overclock profile is fine. Unless you're wanting to get serious with your voltages and such I would just stick with the software.

The only way to know if you're overclocking attempts are helping or hurting is to do some performance tests. With the way Ryzen boosting works you have to be sure to test both light threaded and heavy multi-threaded workloads.

A good test is Cinebench 2.0 with both the single-thread and multi-thread test. Light threaded workloads are important since that's what games rely on. Run each test three times after a fresh re-start and average scores.

And then, of course, a stress test to make sure it's going to be stable with controlled temperature under heavy multi-threaded workloads.

TRENDING THREADS