Ryzen RAM stability issues because CPU Freq drop!? (CNQ OFF)

TUF_0511

Reputable
Oct 5, 2016
Hello beautiful people!

I think I have found why my RAM memory is not stable at higher speed. It crashes even at the frequency of 2800MHz. When CPU is overclocked/CNQ off, during memory stress testing like Aida64 or MemTest, CPU Frequency drops at about 1.0GHz after minute or two and that is where the test shows an error and crash after that... It is not thermal throttling or something about temperatures, high power draw, PSU quality etc (I tried multiple PSUs). I run Intel Burn Test and CPU frequency stay at highest speed with no problems. Problem occurs only when testing the RAM stability. CPU temperature topped out at 55C and Motherboard VRM temperature is not higher than 50C. I have Noctua NH-D15 and big high airflow Cooler Master HAF case with all Noctua fans - 2x140mm, 3x200mm.

So shouldn't CPU overclock or generally higher CPU frequency help RAM stability? I think yes. This is the Zen platform and we all know it work's that way. Higher CPU frequency - better memory stability at higher speeds.
BUT after all when memory stress test is running, CPU frequency keeps dropping and it shows the instability issues and errors. It makes sense to show the error because CPU frequency dropped to about 1.0GHz from frequency I set in bios which is 3.9GHz... Why is that happening can anyone explain? Is that what it should be?

My specs:
AMD Ryzen 2600
MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (BIOS: 7A32v1H 1.0.0.4 - latest from MSI site)
2x4GB GSKILL Ripjaws IV 3200MHz
Corsair HX750i Digital 80+ Platinum

Solution
When you are overclocking you need to turn off AMD cool and Quiet/Intel speed step/turbo boost technologies in the bios.
When the computer enters lower power states(lower processor speeds) it also lowers voltage to the cpu.
Some chips handle the changes well and others do not.
It is the luck of the silicone lottery if you get a "Golden Sample" or not.
When you are overclocking you need to turn off AMD cool and Quiet/Intel speed step/turbo boost technologies in the bios.
When the computer enters lower power states(lower processor speeds) it also lowers voltage to the cpu.
Some chips handle the changes well and others do not.
It is the luck of the silicone lottery if you get a "Golden Sample" or not.

Solution

TUF_0511

Reputable
Oct 5, 2016

CNQ is off
I haven't asked about CNQ definition btw. :)