Jimbo832

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2013
Hi all,

I cannot get my 2x8GB kit of T-FORCE Nighthawk Rgb 3200 MHZ Memory to remain stable on my Asus ROG STRIX B450-I motherboard, paired with a Ryzen 5 3600.

The bios is up to date and the memory is passing windows diagnostic tests.

After setting the RAM to Profile #1 under D.O.H.P standard in the BIOS and it will boot into windows fine, but after being restarted the pc will fail to post and speeds will revert to 2400 MHZ.

I've also tried manually setting the timings using the Ryzen DRAM Calculator tool and using the SAFE preset, this would also boot into windows but would eventually fail to post and revert to 2400 MHZ.

Memtest86 failed to find any errors with the RAM after running for roughly 4 hours.

According to the QVL on the Team website this kit is compatible at 3200 with this motherboard

How am I able to get this kit to remain stable at 3200?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Solution
For anyone checking out this thread I believe I have fixed the problem.

By flashing my BIOS from Version 3004 to Version 2602, and then reflashing to Version 2901 my memory appears stable when setting to D.O.H.P preset 1.

Not entirely sure if Version 2602 or Version 2901 fixed the issue, as I forgot to test the memory on Version 2062 and flashed to Version 2901 as it said "01. Update Memory Overclocking Rules" in the update notes.
Hi all,

I cannot get my 2x8GB kit of T-FORCE Nighthawk Rgb 3200 MHZ Memory to remain stable on my Asus ROG STRIX B450-I motherboard.

The bios is up to date and the memory is passing windows diagnostic tests.

After setting the RAM to Profile #1 under D.O.H.P standard in the BIOS and it will boot into windows fine, but after being restarted the pc will fail to post and speeds will revert to 2400 MHZ.

I've also tried manually setting the timings using the Ryzen DRAM Calculator tool and using the SAFE preset, this would also boot into windows but would eventually fail to post and revert to 2400 MHZ.

Memtest86 failed to find any errors with the RAM after running for roughly 4 hours.

According to the QVL on the Team website this kit is compatible at 3200 with this motherboard

How am I able to get this kit to remain stable at 3200?

Thanks in advance!
Are you sure you have them in right slots ?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
How did you do the bios update? Just chose the last one available? Have you installed the motherboard chipset drivers and any necessary media from Asus website? Have you changed any other settings other than the ram? Did the ram come as a single kit or was it 2 seperate kits with single sticks?

Jimbo832

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2013
How did you do the bios update? Just chose the last one available? Have you installed the motherboard chipset drivers and any necessary media from Asus website? Have you changed any other settings other than the ram? Did the ram come as a single kit or was it 2 seperate kits with single sticks?

I downloaded latest BIOS version off Asus website and updated through the BIOS with a USB drive.

Also did installed everything else off Asus website like chipset, etc.

No, I've tried a few different settings with the RAM, XMP, tried the SAFE preset with Ryzen DRAM Calculator tool, they will usually post a first time but upon restarting pc, or on-offing, it will not post.

RAM came as a single kit

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ok. Can you see the little sticker on the mobo, or sometimes even printed on the mobo or would you happen to know, or do you have dual bios ability to find out the original bios revision?

Ryzen isn't Intel. And bios chips are only so big. There's a lot of new info, changes and instructions for changes in a bios update. More info in some cases than a bios chip can support, so updates are done in a series. Not following the update path can have disastrous results.

Imagine you start out with Rev 1.0. It has a code string XYZ. Rev 2.0 contains 123 and instructions to change XYZ to 123. You skipped ahead to Rev 3.0 which only has room to include ABC and instructions to change 123 to ABC, no mention of XYZ.

After the update, you now have what seems to be a fully updated, successful Rev 3.0, but in reality XYZ never got changed because there was no instructions or data to change to.

So in the end you have a 3rd revision, and with the majority of update info being ram related, 1st revision ram data and issues.

So you'll need the original revision number, and check the revisions list for any necessary prior updates. If you can revert the bios, that'd be awesome, giving you room to start fresh, but some unlucky ppl are stuck with a partially bricked bios.

Jimbo832

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2013
Ok. Can you see the little sticker on the mobo, or sometimes even printed on the mobo or would you happen to know, or do you have dual bios ability to find out the original bios revision?

Ryzen isn't Intel. And bios chips are only so big. There's a lot of new info, changes and instructions for changes in a bios update. More info in some cases than a bios chip can support, so updates are done in a series. Not following the update path can have disastrous results.

Imagine you start out with Rev 1.0. It has a code string XYZ. Rev 2.0 contains 123 and instructions to change XYZ to 123. You skipped ahead to Rev 3.0 which only has room to include ABC and instructions to change 123 to ABC, no mention of XYZ.

After the update, you now have what seems to be a fully updated, successful Rev 3.0, but in reality XYZ never got changed because there was no instructions or data to change to.

So in the end you have a 3rd revision, and with the majority of update info being ram related, 1st revision ram data and issues.

So you'll need the original revision number, and check the revisions list for any necessary prior updates. If you can revert the bios, that'd be awesome, giving you room to start fresh, but some unlucky ppl are stuck with a partially bricked bios.

Would flashing back to the earliest BIOS update help? I'm happy to give that a shot.

Jimbo832

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2013
For anyone checking out this thread I believe I have fixed the problem.

By flashing my BIOS from Version 3004 to Version 2602, and then reflashing to Version 2901 my memory appears stable when setting to D.O.H.P preset 1.

Not entirely sure if Version 2602 or Version 2901 fixed the issue, as I forgot to test the memory on Version 2062 and flashed to Version 2901 as it said "01. Update Memory Overclocking Rules" in the update notes.

Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Exactly. By staging the bios, you changed some of the info that needed to be changed first, before a later bios changed it again. With Intels, there's only minor changes, all the lga11xx info isn't messed with, so updates can include everything complete. With Ryzen, you have several generations, with different specs for each, and fixes for each, so changes need to be minimal because of the multitude of info. XYZ to 123 in one revision, 123 to ABC in the next revision.

Glad you could flash an earlier bios, some bios will not let you after a certain point. That'll be in the notes. You probably couldn't have flashed to a bios prior to the 2602.

Jimbo832

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2013
Exactly. By staging the bios, you changed some of the info that needed to be changed first, before a later bios changed it again. With Intels, there's only minor changes, all the lga11xx info isn't messed with, so updates can include everything complete. With Ryzen, you have several generations, with different specs for each, and fixes for each, so changes need to be minimal because of the multitude of info. XYZ to 123 in one revision, 123 to ABC in the next revision.

Glad you could flash an earlier bios, some bios will not let you after a certain point. That'll be in the notes. You probably couldn't have flashed to a bios prior to the 2602.

Thanks for the info. I thought about flashing to an even earlier one but thought I could potentially remove the Ryzen 3000 compatibility if I flash to early? So I decided to pick the earliest BIOS with Ryzen 3000 mentioned in the notes. Or will this board always be compatible? I'm happy to flash even earlier if this is the case.

CPU compatibily on the boards site says the Ryzen 3600 is "Validaited since PCB: ALL" & also "Validated since BIOS: 2301". Validated since PCB leads me to believe it will work no matter how early I flash, but the Validated since BIOS: 2301 make me feel like I shouldn't flash earlier then 2301.

Last edited: