Ryzen temp not reading accurate from the factory?

WhiteSnake91

Distinguished
Upgraded to a ryzen 1700 8c/16t and speccy and ryzen master at 3.2ghz 1.1875 reads ~63-67C with The Division and multitasking a bit with some browser tabs, a voip, and watching a stream. It can vary a little due to hectic outside combat with other players vs chilling inside a building/safezone.

After going down the google rabbit hole after having a weird problem with the cpu not downclocking while idle after OC'd via the bios, (the joys of being an early adopter in technology with the first real new cpu architecture in years) many others, with my ab350 pro4 asrock mobo and even some other mobos claimed to just OC via Ryzen Master rather than the bios, even with cool and quiet on in the bios it wouldn't downclock ever, whereas it downclocks when idle fine when OC'd in Ryzen Master. 1.35v at 3.8ghz reported up to 81c at the max and usually ~75c-ish when gaming with the stock cooler, although reading some around online I found a reddit link which linked to an AMD site link where an employee claimed the Ryzen temps aren't accurate and always read 20c higher than they really are.

Is it true there's really a -20c offset, so if it's 65c during gaming for example my true temp is 45c? Kind of weird all these years later AMD still uses something like this, I remember reading years ago the temp readings weren't accurately reported on the old Bulldozer/Piledriver cpu either. And are my temps good for using the stock wraith spire cooler?

thx for any help, my first true "new" build in years, I was more of a sandy/ivy bridge guy before and even toyed around with Phenom II and an FX pc for awhile but this Ryzen is a whole new beast it seems.

So with the stock cooler reading 81c at max OC'd to 3.8ghz 1.35v on all cores with SMT on would really only be 61c due to the weird 20c offset? If so for a stock cooler that's not bad at all. A credit to the stock cooler, but geez, would it have really hurt to just show the true temp like intels did? haha

Solution
Hi WhiteSnake91 :)

The primary temperature reporting sensor of the AMD Ryzen™ processor is a sensor called “T Control,” or tCTL for short. The tCTL sensor is derived from the junction (Tj) temperature—the interface point between the die and heatspreader—but it may be offset on certain CPU models so that all models on the AM4 Platform have the same maximum tCTL value. This approach ensures that all AMD Ryzen™ processors have a consistent fan policy. It usually reads 20C higher at tCTL
I have found HWInfo64 to be the best temperature sensor and reads tDIE correctly on this platform.

Also Ryzen master I have found to NOT be the best way to Overclock. You should stick to Bios cause if things do go wrong and what you set is not acceptable...
Hi WhiteSnake91 :)

The primary temperature reporting sensor of the AMD Ryzen™ processor is a sensor called “T Control,” or tCTL for short. The tCTL sensor is derived from the junction (Tj) temperature—the interface point between the die and heatspreader—but it may be offset on certain CPU models so that all models on the AM4 Platform have the same maximum tCTL value. This approach ensures that all AMD Ryzen™ processors have a consistent fan policy. It usually reads 20C higher at tCTL
I have found HWInfo64 to be the best temperature sensor and reads tDIE correctly on this platform.

Also Ryzen master I have found to NOT be the best way to Overclock. You should stick to Bios cause if things do go wrong and what you set is not acceptable then Bios corruption can take place. Although a Bios flash can remedy this some have had to resort to a clean instal of the OS.

3.8GHz with 1.35V on the Core and temps at 61C at sensor tDIE is perfect.

Solution