Question Ryzen Threadripper Pro 7995WX or Ryzen 9 7950X3D or Intel Core i9-14900KF ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 4, 2023
I am trying my best to select parts for my PC that I will build for Unreal Engine 5 /C++. Can you tell me is AMD Ryzen Threadripper Pro WX series better than AMD Ryzen mainstream or Intel Core i9? Please leave a reply.

Reactions: Order 66

USAFRet

Titan
Here you go:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G
Mobo: ASUS AM4 motherboard mATX (I am not sure about it but it is a normal motherboard, not to high end)
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3600MHz (Dual channel 2x8) (Now it is 32GB Dual channel 4x8)
GPU: AMD Radeon Integrated Graphics
PSU: 700W PSU
Cooler: AMD stock cooler

Some additional info: the max clock speed the CPU was at during compile was 4.2GHz or 4.19 to be precise. And 100% utilisation on all 6 cores
That easily meets the min requirements for UE5.

(and yes, UE5 also runs in Linux...;) )

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I am trying my best to select parts for my PC that I will build for Unreal Engine 5 /C++. Can you tell me is AMD Ryzen Threadripper Pro WX series better than AMD Ryzen mainstream or Intel Core i9? Please leave a reply.
Better is relative to cost/benefit. Honestly, the whole $30k investment thing is unrealistic. You would be better served getting your current technical (crash) issue resolved before spending ANY money.

As USAFRet pointed out, your current system is more than capable of doing the work. Heck, many modern laptops can as well.

For your additional research. See here: https://dev.epicgames.com/community/

Nov 4, 2023
And you are going to jump to a $30k build? That seems extreme and not recommended unless you currently have work to pay for this and not just speculation.

What are the specs for the computer that crashed on the second day?
Here you go:
Mobo: ASUS AM4 motherboard mATX (I am not sure about it but it is a normal motherboard, not to high end)
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3600MHz (Dual channel 2x8) (Now it is 32GB Dual channel 4x8)

Some additional info: the max clock speed the CPU was at during compile was 4.2GHz or 4.19 to be precise. And 100% utilisation on all
That easily meets the min requirements for UE5.

(and yes, UE5 also runs in Linux...;) )
I think you didn't read carefully as UE5 requires 64GB of RAM at least and 16 cores. As well as a 2080 super at least.

Nov 4, 2023
Better is relative to cost/benefit. Honestly, the whole $30k investment thing is unrealistic. You would be better served getting your current technical (crash) issue resolved before spending ANY money.

As USAFRet pointed out, your current system is more than capable of doing the work. Heck, many modern laptops can as well.

For your additional research. See here: https://dev.epicgames.com/community/
So should I just go with Intel Core i9 14900K instead? I want to use Threadripper is mainly due to compile performance and GPU support. It supports way more PCIe slots and this, I can put more accelerators in there and accelerate the build more.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Here you go:

Some additional info: the max clock speed the CPU was at during compile was 4.2GHz or 4.19 to be precise. And 100% utilisation on all

I think you didn't read carefully as UE5 requires 64GB of RAM at least and 16 cores. As well as a 2080 super at least.
Incorrect. That is a representative system shown as an example, not system requirements. Those are at the top of the linked page.

USAFRet

Titan

NePME8g.png

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Here you go:

I would start by installing a matched set to 2x16 memory, not 4x8. As this is a dev system, I would ensure no OCing. If you keep the 4x8 config, lower the speed to stock DDR 4 speeds and try again. Populating all four slots can cause stability issues.

I also assume that your 4x8 config is not a 100% matched/sold as a set. For best results, you should always use matched memory.

Nov 4, 2023
I would start by installing a matched set to 2x16 memory, not 4x8. As this is a dev system, I would ensure no OCing. If you keep the 4x8 config, lower the speed to stock DDR 4 speeds and try again. Populating all four slots can cause stability issues.

I also assume that your 4x8 config is not a 100% matched/sold as a set. For best results, you should always use matched memory.
The 4x8 is identical memory sticks. All from Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600MHz

The 4x8 is identical memory sticks. All from Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600MHz
Did all of these sticks come in one package,two or 4?
The only "IDENTICAL" ram comes in the same package.
That is why memory is sold in kits of 2-4-8 sticks.
These have been tested to work together as a kit.
Mixing sticks or kits is like playing the lottery.
Some times you win, but most of the time you lose.

Nov 4, 2023
Did all of these sticks come in one package,two or 4?
The only "IDENTICAL" ram comes in the same package.
That is why memory is sold in kits of 2-4-8 sticks.
These have been tested to work together as a kit.
Mixing sticks or kits is like playing the lottery.
Some times you win, but most of the time you lose.
It was 2x8 as I wanted to leave the 2 extra slots for upgrade later. After about 6 months, then I got the next 2 sticks and the sticks are on the same channel so 1 kit is 1 channel. I also reslotted all the sticks for that arrangement as AMD as flexibility in their channels

Lutfij

Titan
The PSU, although unknown, is bought last year
You've done the same thing on this thread;
If you're not serious about what/how we're trying to tackle your problem, the community doesn't need to allocate time entertaining you/your questions. If you also look at your threads retrospectively, you need to sort out your current build = they all should be in one thread.

Prove us wrong and we shall make progress. Consider this a public warning.

Last edited:

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Again I would point you back to here.

Don't be unrealistic about what you can do by yourself it takes a team of developers years to do a single game to sell and they use a lot of people that specialize in just one area.

Reactions: Fantastical

TRENDING THREADS