[SOLVED] Ryzen Zen3 4000 series question

Fcc

Reputable
Feb 16, 2019
i would like to know if i should wait till the new 4000 series, im coming from am3 system, my b450m gaming plus and tfoce delta rgb 16 gb 3200mhz is on the way i already bought them.

someone knows if the 4000 series will be sold the same october 8 and if any of them will cost below 150$ with 6c/12t as thats my cpu budget.

(sorry for my english)

Last edited:
Solution
Chances are the 4000/5000 series will be priced either the same or slightly higher than what their nearest equivalent 3000-series counterparts launched at, so the 4600/5600 will probably land in the $230-250 range at launch.

AMD does not officially support Zen 3 on 400-series and older motherboards, support on individual boards is at the motherboard manufacturers' discretion on a beta/experimental basis. You will need a BIOS update at the very least to get those to work on the board you bought if any such update is made available at all.

Depending on the BIOS version your board shipped with, it may require an update before you can use a Zen 2 CPU on it too.

InvalidError

Titan
Chances are the 4000/5000 series will be priced either the same or slightly higher than what their nearest equivalent 3000-series counterparts launched at, so the 4600/5600 will probably land in the $230-250 range at launch.

AMD does not officially support Zen 3 on 400-series and older motherboards, support on individual boards is at the motherboard manufacturers' discretion on a beta/experimental basis. You will need a BIOS update at the very least to get those to work on the board you bought if any such update is made available at all.

Depending on the BIOS version your board shipped with, it may require an update before you can use a Zen 2 CPU on it too.

Reactions: Jighost
Solution
Also, if memory serves, the 2nd generation ryzen parts dropped way down when the 3000 series came out. So you may see good pricing on the 3000 series. I think I remember the ryzen 5 2600 dropping to about $120 when the 3000 series came out. If they did a deal like that, that would be a good deal for say a 3600.

Reactions: GarrettL
The 2600 and 3600 both launched for $200, so there's a fair chance the next 600 model will launch for that same price as well. Even the original 1600 was just $220. So, probably more in that range for the base 6-core, 12-thread model, unless they feel there are more substantial performance gains than the 3000-series brought to justify higher pricing.

It seems a bit less likely that a new 12-thread part would launch for less than $200, but you never know. Intel's Comet Lake processors now roughly match AMD on core counts, and the i5-10400 is widely available for just $180. So, it's possible AMD could match that processor's price. If their new chips are notably faster though, they might just drop the 3600 to a lower price point to better compete with that. After all, the 3600 had already been priced under $175 for much of this year, even dropping to around $160 at one point during the summer, so seeing that drop to around $150 or so could happen, especially during holiday sales. This is for US pricing, of course, as prices could potentially be different in your area.

As for the release date of the new processors, it's hard to say. It could be at the announcement in a few weeks, or it could be some weeks later, perhaps alongside their new high-end graphics cards. I haven't heard any rumors about a specific release date yet, but I would think it would probably be later than the announcement date, as otherwise everything about them would get leaked by retailers beforehand.

Fcc

Reputable
Feb 16, 2019

good that this mb has flash bios button in the back to upgrade bios without cpu. so i can wait till new cpu`s are on sale and get a 3600 as well its not guaranteed 450 will support it.

InvalidError

Titan
Well, turned out I was excessively optimistic in thinking AMD was only going to apply 'slight' bumps... the 5600X ended up having an insane (at least IMO) $300 launch MSRP. I wasn't expecting AMD to get that greedy so quick.

Fcc

Reputable
Feb 16, 2019
Well, turned out I was excessively optimistic in thinking AMD was only going to apply 'slight' bumps... the 5600X ended up having an insane (at least IMO) $300 launch MSRP. I wasn't expecting AMD to get that greedy so quick.
Well, been waiting since early september so i couldnt wait any more and yesterday i picked up a brand new ryzen 2600 for 110$, it was a good deal i think.

InvalidError

Titan
Lower and even same price would kill Zan2 sales or had to heavily discount them.
The 3600 was selling for ~$160 during summer and the 3700X around $260, being discounted is nothing new for Zen 2, all AMD had to do is launch at the same or only slightly higher MSRP. Since Zen 2 shares the same 7nm wafers as Zen 3 and all other new-gen AMD stuff, expect Zen 2 to get phased out in a hurry to free up wafers for new stuff. I suspect this is part of the reason why Zen 2 prices have bounced back from summer lows despite Zen 3's imminent launch.

Unlike Zen 1/1+ where AMD had nowhere else to dump its 16/12nm wafer commitments on and had to continue selling those chips until excess wafers were spent or eat the penalties for bailing out, AMD has no shortage of new parts to re-allocate 7nm wafers to. There won't be a rush to clear Zen 2 inventory because there is no Zen 2 inventory to clear. Zen 2 parts may even end up selling above MSRP due to becoming rare parts that shops want to hold on to for repair purposes, especially now that there is a $50 extra buffer to equivalent new-gen parts.

The 3600 was selling for ~$160 during summer and the 3700X around $260, being discounted is nothing new for Zen 2, all AMD had to do is launch at the same or only slightly higher MSRP. Since Zen 2 shares the same 7nm wafers as Zen 3 and all other new-gen AMD stuff, expect Zen 2 to get phased out in a hurry to free up wafers for new stuff. I suspect this is part of the reason why Zen 2 prices have bounced back from summer lows despite Zen 3's imminent launch.

Unlike Zen 1/1+ where AMD had nowhere else to dump its 16/12nm wafer commitments on and had to continue selling those chips until excess wafers were spent or eat the penalties for bailing out, AMD has no shortage of new parts to re-allocate 7nm wafers to. There won't be a rush to clear Zen 2 inventory because there is no Zen 2 inventory to clear. Zen 2 parts may even end up selling above MSRP due to becoming rare parts that shops want to hold on to for repair purposes, especially now that there is a $50 extra buffer to equivalent new-gen parts.
That's pure business now, AMD doesn't have to undercut Intel greatly any more. I was kinda hoping against hope that 3900/3950 prices would drop sooner or later as for my type of usage number of cores is more important than increased single core or IPC. With next editions price situation may improve. By that time used CPUs may be in better position.