Review Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 M.2 SSD Review: A High-Performance Value

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
PCI-E speeds are supposed to double every generation. The top of the line Gen 3 SSDs are hitting around 3500 seq. read and 2500 seq. writes. The Phison controller used in almost every "Gen 4" SSD benchmarked to date limits their performance to no better than "Gen 3.5" And, even in that grouping, the Sabrent is not at the top. Shame on Tom's for making this an Editor's Choice. People that trust Tom's will learn the hard way.

seanwebster

Contributing Writer
Editor
Aug 30, 2018
PCI-E speeds are supposed to double every generation. The top of the line Gen 3 SSDs are hitting around 3500 seq. read and 2500 seq. writes. The Phison controller used in almost every "Gen 4" SSD benchmarked to date limits their performance to no better than "Gen 3.5" And, even in that grouping, the Sabrent is not at the top. Shame on Tom's for making this an Editor's Choice. People that trust Tom's will learn the hard way.
Which Gen4 drive beats it in value? Have you looked at the benchmarks page? The test results speak for themselves...

Reactions: Makaveli

Makaveli

Splendid
Which Gen4 drive beats it in value? Have you looked at the benchmarks page? The test results speak for themselves...

As someone that owns a Corsair MP 600 which is based on the same controller these drivers are great. He is just another person that doesn't own the drive that complains. The next revision of this controller should have drives hitting 7000 MB/s and those should be released later this year.

Reactions: seanwebster

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
@Makaveli... You are quite correct - I don't own a pcie gen 4 drive yet, primarily because I choose not to waste my money. As you yourself said... "The next revision of this controller should have drives hitting 7000 MB/s and those should be released later this year. " And, of course, Samsung will debut their new 980 PRO and EVO soonish. I can afford to wait.

toadhammer

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2012
Unless I missed something, there's no mention of the testbed here. And it requires a PCI gen 4 motherboard to actually get highest speeds.

seanwebster

Contributing Writer
Editor
Aug 30, 2018
Unless I missed something, there's no mention of the testbed here. And it requires a PCI gen 4 motherboard to actually get highest speeds.
Yes, that is correct. Hence the supporting test system.
  • ASRock X570 Taichi
  • AMD R5 3600X @4.3GHz
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3600MHz CL18
  • Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 570 4GB
  • SSD tested as OS drive + 50% full

Reactions: toadhammer
Jun 20, 2020
Hi can you please explain this dillema, why M.2 nvme PCIe 4.0 SSD (it's using x4 lane slot) is not fast as PCIe 4.0 speed with x4 lane?

The speed of PCIe 4.0 x4 = 64 GB/s
M.2 NVME 4.0 SSD (x4 lane) = just +- 5/4,5 GB/s Read/Write

Apr 11, 2021
Has anyone done any followup on these Sabrent nvme devices? After reading this glowing report (and a couple others) I purchased 2 2TB m.2 SSD's for my new pc build (Asus ROG X570 Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) ATX Motherboard ) in November 2020. The pc's been running for about 4 months (Fedora 33, BTRFS) and just started throwing unrecoverable file system errors due to a bad block. Turns out other folks are having problems with them as well (Here's why you should NOT buy a Sabrent Rocket SSD). They also report having difficulty with Sabrent customer service...guess I'll get to find out about that. Appears I'm stuck with $400 of dying hardware...

Update: just tried creating a login on Sabrent's website. Entered my new login info multiple times without success, then was locked out.

Last edited:

canbbb

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2012
Has anyone done any followup on these Sabrent nvme devices? After reading this glowing report (and a couple others) I purchased 2 2TB m.2 SSD's for my new pc build (Asus ROG X570 Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) ATX Motherboard ) in November 2020. The pc's been running for about 4 months (Fedora 33, BTRFS) and just started throwing unrecoverable file system errors due to a bad block. Turns out other folks are having problems with them as well (Here's why you should NOT buy a Sabrent Rocket SSD). They also report having difficulty with Sabrent customer service...guess I'll get to find out about that. Appears I'm stuck with $400 of dying hardware...

Update: just tried creating a login on Sabrent's website. Entered my new login info multiple times without success, then was locked out.
Yep. I have purchase a 1 TB and a 2TB for my new system I built back in November. Earlier this week, my 1 TB - the C: drive containing the OS and all my documents - crashed. BIOS could not even see it anymore. I removed it, reseated it, changed the location on the mobo - no can do. It was completely, after 8 months. FYI, All I do is gaming, browsing, etc. No overclocking and no Digital Currency stuff. I went on the internet and saw quite a few people complaining about exactly this problem relative to Sabrent Rockets. And warranty is no good: they give you the run around and downright refuse to send you a new one. Not that I'd be interested to be honest... for my C: drive, I am now using a much more reliable Samsung 980 Pro. So about Sabrent: speed was okay, price was okay, and it was one of the first Gen 4 available on the market, but no... they've lost me as a customer.

Reviewers should check online to see what kind of user comments there are... Quite a few malcontents about the Sabrent Rockets - much more than there are about Corsair or Samsung. That should tell you something.

Loadedaxe

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2016
Yep. I have purchase a 1 TB and a 2TB for my new system I built back in November. Earlier this week, my 1 TB - the C: drive containing the OS and all my documents - crashed. BIOS could not even see it anymore. I removed it, reseated it, changed the location on the mobo - no can do. It was completely, after 8 months. FYI, All I do is gaming, browsing, etc. No overclocking and no Digital Currency stuff. I went on the internet and saw quite a few people complaining about exactly this problem relative to Sabrent Rockets. And warranty is no good: they give you the run around and downright refuse to send you a new one. Not that I'd be interested to be honest... for my C: drive, I am now using a much more reliable Samsung 980 Pro. So about Sabrent: speed was okay, price was okay, and it was one of the first Gen 4 available on the market, but no... they've lost me as a customer.

Reviewers should check online to see what kind of user comments there are... Quite a few malcontents about the Sabrent Rockets - much more than there are about Corsair or Samsung. That should tell you something.

They have no more issues than other SSD Manufacturers, see reviews on Amazon, NE etc. These are electronics, your going to have some that have issues.

I have the 1TB Rocket PCIe 4.0 SSD in a X570 Prime-P since August 2019 and no issues, I also have the 2 TB PCIe 3.0 since May 2019 in a Intel build and have had no issues.

They are pretty fast and reliable. You also have to account for the systems they are in and what type of abuse they receive.

I love Samsung ones as well, I did have had to replace my 1TB 970 Evo, so just like everything else, back up your data, there's always a possibility you have to replace one.

drajitsh

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2016
I would like information about
  1. Security /encryption support
  2. Reliability -- whether they have multiple versions of the drive -- send A for review and sell D. Also, whole a drive can fail, a poor warranty support will make it more painful. @tomshardware I expect at least a statement that warranty support may be doubtful

Johnpombrio

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
I got a Samsung 2TB NVME 980 Pro for $319 during the Amazon Prime day sale with a Lightning deal. Now I just need a PCI-E 4 mobo to go with it. Right now, it is sitting in an ASUS Z390-E with a 9900K. Waiting for November to see what Intel comes up with before going with a Ryzen.