Safe or not Safe?

G

ok.. With an Abit BE6-II-V.2 (intel 440bx chipset) motherboard and a p2 333 (512 L2 cache). Would it be safe to run it at 100mhz fsb and 400mhz clock rate? (100mhz x 4)

At that clock rate, would special cooling need to come into the picture?

yoda271828

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Heat kills electronics, not clock speed. As long as you can keep the heat under control overclocking is perfectly safe. Overclocking usually requires a better-than-stock cooler, but not always. I have a Celeron-366 clocked at 458Mhz with a 83Mhz FSB, and I am only using the stock Intel cooler. You may need an aftermarket cooler, but try to overclock it first because you may not need one.

G

Ok.. Here is another question. When i bought the processor from a friend of mine, he gave me the heat sink that came with it (it is black, appears to be iron). its about 1 1/2 inchs tall. He also gave me a copper heat sink that is about 3/4 of an inch tall. Which one should be better? the stock one seems to have twice the surface area, but the other one is copper. I'm going to go with a multiple fan combo. I'm just going to throw like 3 stock fans on there (thermal glue). So which heat sink should i use?

yoda271828

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
That heatsink can't iron, it's probably steel (or maybe aluminium). Also, are you sure that other heatsink is copper and not just anodized aluminium? I would say you should probably test both and see which one work better. If the smaller one is copper and the larger one is steel, then the smaller one will probably work better.