Safe Passage + OpenSSH = VPN

I've been lurking here reading about different VPN problems. Most seem
to be individuals or small companies without big budgets. Might I
suggest those of you looking for a simple VPN solutions that uses SSH?

Safe Passage http://vastrange.com is a SSH tunneling utility that
sells for $30/copy. Since it works at the driver level it allows for
Windows filesharing as well as all the other applications you use on
the internet (except for UPD applications). It even tunnels DNS
requests.

All you have to do to set up a VPN is to run OpenSSH on your firewall
(say Linux for instance) and use Safe Passage to connect to the SSH
server.

--Joe

scotty@cm.math.uiuc.edu (joe briggs) wrote:
>I've been lurking here reading about different VPN problems. Most seem
>to be individuals or small companies without big budgets. Might I
>suggest those of you looking for a simple VPN solutions that uses SSH?
>
>Safe Passage http://vastrange.com is a SSH tunneling utility that
>sells for $30/copy. Since it works at the driver level it allows for
>Windows filesharing as well as all the other applications you use on
>the internet (except for UPD applications). It even tunnels DNS
>requests.
>
>All you have to do to set up a VPN is to run OpenSSH on your firewall
>(say Linux for instance) and use Safe Passage to connect to the SSH
>server.
>
>--Joe

Agree. OpenSSH is indeed the the frequently recommended one.
For clients, putty often comes first amongst regulars not because it's
open source and free, but because it implements most useful features.
See http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html.

The leader in Green VPN solutions
http://strongsolutions.addr.com/