Question (Sager NP8358F2) Strange bug regarding display output. Doesn't output to external monitor depending on GPU setting in BIOS...

Aug 18, 2024
Last year my screen broke and since then I've been using it as a "halftop", without the screen. So I took the screen off. It looks like a Commodore now. Kind of neat.

If the BIOS are set to "MSHybrid", the BIOS (and any non-OS menus, like Advanced Startup, GRUB, etc.) do not output to an external screen. Just an OS. Inside the OS, I see that the dedicated GPU, an RTX 2070 Super, is clearly the only one being used, proper behavior for HDMI/USB-C screen out.

If I set the BIOS to "Discrete", the BIOS (and any non-OS menus, like Advanced Startup, GRUB, etc.) DO output to an external screen. However the OS will not. Using TeamViewer, I can see see things, and that the OS doesn't even recognize there's actually a GPU! It only uses Microsoft's basic display driver, because it literally does not see a GPU, at all.

To my knowledge this feature I am describing is called the "MUX switch"?

My BIOS version, reported by the CMD command "wmic bios get smbiosbiosversion":
SMBIOSBIOSVersion
1.07.07LS1

I have tried output via USB-C and HDMI. Same results for both "MSHybrid" (Integrated) and "Discrete" (Dedicated) options. Is there any way to fix this?