saka-rauka1

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009
Hi guys,

Put together a new PC a week or 2 ago. Since it was built the PC took several minutes to boot. This turned out to be a problem with the 850 Evo, as unplugging it fixed the slow boot issue. Whilst this was going on, the SSD would only be intermittently detected by Windows. One time it was also undetected in BIOS. On some of the occasions where it did show up in windows, actually opening folders on the drive would take 10-20 seconds, where normally it's instant. I've since reconnected the drive, with different cables, and a different SATA slot on the mobo, and the boot issue hasn't reoccurred, nor has there been any slowness or failure to be detected in windows. It did say something was corrupted when I tried to open the SteamLibrary/Steamapps directory, with Windows telling me to run a scan and then repair the drive, which I did, and now that message no longer appears.

Are there any checks I can run to try to uncover any problems? I've run crystaldiskinfo, but it says the drive is healthy, and I don't know enough about the software to do any prodding. If the drive is indeed fine, then that's great. But otherwise I'd like to know so I can just get rid of it.

Solution
Hi guys,

Put together a new PC a week or 2 ago. Since it was built the PC took several minutes to boot. This turned out to be a problem with the 850 Evo, as unplugging it fixed the slow boot issue. Whilst this was going on, the SSD would only be intermittently detected by Windows. One time it was also undetected in BIOS. On some of the occasions where it did show up in windows, actually opening folders on the drive would take 10-20 seconds, where normally it's instant. I've since reconnected the drive, with different cables, and a different SATA slot on the mobo, and the boot issue hasn't reoccurred, nor has there been any slowness or failure to be detected in windows. It did say something was corrupted when I tried to open the...

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hi guys,

Put together a new PC a week or 2 ago. Since it was built the PC took several minutes to boot. This turned out to be a problem with the 850 Evo, as unplugging it fixed the slow boot issue. Whilst this was going on, the SSD would only be intermittently detected by Windows. One time it was also undetected in BIOS. On some of the occasions where it did show up in windows, actually opening folders on the drive would take 10-20 seconds, where normally it's instant. I've since reconnected the drive, with different cables, and a different SATA slot on the mobo, and the boot issue hasn't reoccurred, nor has there been any slowness or failure to be detected in windows. It did say something was corrupted when I tried to open the SteamLibrary/Steamapps directory, with Windows telling me to run a scan and then repair the drive, which I did, and now that message no longer appears.

Are there any checks I can run to try to uncover any problems? I've run crystaldiskinfo, but it says the drive is healthy, and I don't know enough about the software to do any prodding. If the drive is indeed fine, then that's great. But otherwise I'd like to know so I can just get rid of it.
Moving the SATA port and cable could of fixed it if nothing was wrong with the drive.

If you have any data on the drive that can't be replaced I would back that data up now.

Solution