Samsung 950 Pro not on maximum performance!

Omar_36

Commendable
Jul 12, 2016
Hi,
I got a new laptop ASUS GL502VY. it supports M.2 32Gbps which is definitely will run the NVMe SSD on max speed. I did clone the previous M.2 to the 1TP HDD then removed the M.2 and installed 950 Pro 512GB and then I did clone it again from HDD to 950 Pro using Samsung Data Migration. I also updated the BIOS.

Afterthat I run Samsung magician software and did the test: the result is (Genuine Drive, Controller is updated, PCIe Slot says Link speed cur:8Gbps, Max 8Gbps, Link widh cur: x4, Max x4, bandwidth cur: 32gbps, max 32gbps. OS Optimization N/A "This SSD Does not support OS optimization.

and when I go to RAPID Mode tap it has minimum requirements all of them is available except the SSD parameter is says requires 840 Pro and above. (and mine is not supported SSD) is 950 Pro above than 840 Pro? this is the weird part.

Any help?

Solution
"Support for the 950 Pro is currently absent from version 4.7 of Samsung’s Magician software, but before launch Samsung sent us a beta of the 4.8 version of its software, which is due to be released soon. Samsung’s "Rapid Mode" memory cache system currently does not work in Magician 4.7 under Windows 10 either, and this is also to fixed in 4.8."

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/10/950-pro-review-samsungs-first-pcie-m-2-nvme-ssd-is-an-absolute-monster/

were they wrong in there testing????

Palorim12

Distinguished

RAPID mode doesn't support the 950 Pro. You haven't posted any performance benchmarks. OS optimization is available for the 950 Pro because most of the optimizations affect SATA, not NVME.

"Support for the 950 Pro is currently absent from version 4.7 of Samsung’s Magician software, but before launch Samsung sent us a beta of the 4.8 version of its software, which is due to be released soon. Samsung’s "Rapid Mode" memory cache system currently does not work in Magician 4.7 under Windows 10 either, and this is also to fixed in 4.8."

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/10/950-pro-review-samsungs-first-pcie-m-2-nvme-ssd-is-an-absolute-monster/

were they wrong in there testing????

Solution

Palorim12

Distinguished

RAPID mode not working in Windows 10 was what they fixed in 4.8. Samsung doesn't have any plans to bring RAPID mode to the 950 Pro.