Question Samsung 970 Evo Plus SSD 1Tb m.2 nvme not recognized by BIOS. Motherboard is ASUS B560M-A and processor i5-10400K.

Jan 6, 2023
Hi, I'm building a new pc so no OS yet. As title says I cant get BIOS to recognize my SSD. I reattached it in case it wasn't fitting well. I have already updated BIOS to 1601 which is the latest version for my motherboard and it's still unrecognized.

10th gen Intel doesn't support putting SSD in m1.2 slot, I tried it anyway and display is not working in this case.

I don't have graphic card. I have SATA HD and it's recognized. I have disconnected it and tried to install linux in case SSD is just not showing up in bios, but it didn't find it.

What else can I do?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

After your BIOS was updated successfully to version 1601, did you clear the CMOS for the motherboard?

10th gen Intel doesn't support putting SSD in m1.2 slot, I tried it anyway and display is not working in this case.
Per your motherboard's manual, M.2_2 is the only option at your disposal, correct!

If you remove your SATA drive from the equation, does the SSD get recognized in BIOS?
* M.2_2 slot shares bandwidth with SATA6G_2. When M.2_2 slot is operating in SATA mode, SATA6G_2 will be disabled.
Just for the sake of science, create your bootable USB installer for your OS, with your SATA drive detached/disconnected from the board and power, try and install the OS onto the SSD.

Jan 6, 2023
Thank for your welcome.

I didn't clear CMOS after. I will try that.

The rest of the suggestions I have already done,
I have disconnected SATA, inserted bootable usb with linux and it only recognizes USB, no SSD visible.
Maybe the result would be different next time when I clear cmos first.

Jan 6, 2023
I have cleared CMOS and it didn't help.

I have tried all suggestions from here to no avail
https://www.cgdirector.com/fix-m2-ssd-not-showing-up-in-bios/ except booting to windows uefi. Would it work if I don't have windows installed?

I have tried installing pop_os linux, maybe windows would see it so I will try that.

And in some reddit thread I saw a bunch of bios settings to try changing which I did which also didn't help.

Maybe the issue is that is incompatible. 10th gen Intel supports PCIe 3.0 while this SSD is 4.0. it should downgrade but maybe that's not working correctly.

Last edited: