Question Samsung 990 Pro

zplugger

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
Just build new system with the 990 Pro for the OS, I shut the computer down every night with Windows 11 shutdown. Seems like
every time I start it next day it does a disk check and says its repairing C drive? Has new install of windows, is there a way to find out why this happens?

zplugger

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
This Samsung 990 Pro has been a real pain, nothing but problems. I have the 990 Pro with a windows 11 OS installed and a Samsung 850 Pro with windows 11 installed on same computer. One is for work and other is personal stuff. The 850 runs perfect with no problems, I pick the drive to boot up in bios, so I might use the 850 for couple days before booting the 990. The drives don't write to each that I know of, just two different systems. I do see the 990 is a E: drive when using the 850 is C:. Not sure how to stop the 990 fro being Corrupted all the time. Not sure if its the 990 or windows management doing this. Thier must be a fix?

zplugger

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
Do they make third party boot manager that works better then windows boot manager? I would like to keep my 990 but right now its not solid. Does disk check all the time and had blue screen of death a couple. Only have problems when I use the other drive and the 990 drive letter changes from c to f .The 990 is so fast and hate to get rid of it, but need a solid system. When I use two sata drives the same way no problems?

zplugger

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
I GIVE, after months trying to make this work to gain a couple seconds in real life apps is not worth it. For years I had 3 different OS on different hard drives in same computer with no problems. Han one for wife, me, and work . Never had a issue like this 990 pro getting blue screens daily and constant disk checking. I can no longer waste my life trying to make this work, for some reason when I boot to the other drives windows manger changes stuff on my 990 drive. I see no way of stopping this, guess it back to using sata ssd drives. Not sure why windows doesn't mess with them, guess the 990 would be good if only drive in a computer. I can boot to the 990 a dozen times without problems, but as soon as I boot to one of the other drives the problems begin. For the life of me I just don't understand why. Tomorrow I will pull the video card to get the 990 out and put on a shelf for another build some day.

My understanding is that the 990 runs OK when it's the boot drive. It's only when it's a secondary drive that the problems show up. :-?
The only common ground is that the affected SSDs are drives for storing the operating system.
Distinctly, and specifically, diametrically opposed. LOL.

To the OP, while it seems pretty obvious that there ARE problems with the 990, I don't really think that it is YOUR specific problem. One way to find out though would be to completely disconnect the 850 Pro, boot to the 990 a few times throwing in a couple of restarts and a couple of complete shut downs in between, and see if you still have the same issue. If you do, then it's likely it's a problem related to the drive itself. If you don't, then, as I suspect, it's due to having multiple boot drives without a third party boot loader and the existence of multiple EFI and boot partitions might be confusing the crap out of your system.

zplugger

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
Thanks for all your inputs, you are right Darkbreeze windows is confused with my system. I have taken out the 850 and the 990 runs perfect for days until I put the 850 back in and boot to it. When I boot to the 850 a couple times it takes out the 990 boot up. I see no way around this but take the 990 out. Right now I'm playing with a M.2 extension cable to figure out if I can switch a power wire to turn the M.2 on and off. Think the cable has around 80 ribbon wires, not sure if one can power it down. I use to have a server with 6 different drives that I switch the ssd drives on and off when needed. thiers a lot of 3 volts terminals on the socket, trying to find one to kill the M.2.

zplugger

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
I have to agree with you on this one, putting the project to rest. Will look into the third party boot manager to see if it can get around my problem. My 850 is pretty fast and not sure the 990 will be any better in normal use.

zplugger

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
Running ASrock Z790 with newest Bios
Windows 11
Samsung 850 Pro with windows 11
Samsung 990 Pro with windows 11
32 meg of DDR5 ram
I7 13700 cpu

Been reading on different Boot Managers. Here is my question, can I have windows boot manager on the 850 pro and install EasyUEFI and rEFind on the 990 pro. So
I'm guessing windows won't mess with the 990 with different manager? Do you think something like this is possible?

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS