Samsung Announces ATIV Windows 8, Phone 8 Devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

samkl

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
Samsung is diversifying it's product lineup. Makes sense not to be tied into Android eco system and testing new grounds. That's why RIM and Nokia are on death beds.

ejb222

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
[citation][nom]cknobman[/nom]I wanted that phone until I failed to see LTE. WTF????????[/citation]
[strike]Of course[/strike]sorry...maybe it has LTE.

rebel1280

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
man...im on the fence, i WANT to buy into MS devices, i have a Win 7.5 phone and i love it but....s3 is so awesome too... I wonder if i go all in what kind of unified architecture there will be (if any). Something like, if you have win 8 pc, tab and phone, if you can just drag stuff across the various devices!

ejb222

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
The Nokia Phi that will be revealed on Sept 5th will be better anyway. It will surely be LTE and my bet is on a 21mp pureview camera.
But can anyone really confirm that this Ativ S has HDMI out???? is that a typo?

subaru41

Feb 6, 2006
[citation][nom]fuzzion[/nom]After Apple behaved like spoilt kids on the lawsuit, I and many others will never buy an apple product again.[/citation]

+1

The phone and tablet are rectangle with rounded corners. There will be tons of isheep buying it thinking its an iPhone or iPad.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Hmmm.

On first glance, Wow.

On further inspection, DDR RAM? What the hell?! What happened to 2012 and DDR3?

Also, what's the expected battery life on the phone (same CPU as the tablet but 1/4 the battery life)?
What's the phone's resolution? Which CPU's in the phone?

Further, the windows home button is square. Not a chance of an Apple lawsuit now (no, i'm serious. They won't be able to do a thing about it :) ).

I wish they'd opt for a different colour scheme though :\

Finally:
"Moreover, the ATIV Tab is compatible with a range of Windows-based PC devices and accessories, including printers, keyboards, projectors, external monitors, and other peripherals with no need to install extra software."
Apple is dead.

And i think Surface tablets will be similar. Yesssssss.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]ejb222[/nom]The Nokia Phi that will be revealed on Sept 5th will be better anyway. It will surely be LTE and my bet is on a 21mp pureview camera. But can anyone really confirm that this Ativ S has HDMI out???? is that a typo?[/citation]
No, i think it's a typo. Samsung doesn't mention HDMI anywhere for the phone. The other 3 do have it.

JPForums

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2007
[citation][nom]cknobman[/nom]I wanted that phone until I failed to see LTE. WTF????????[/citation]

I guess HSPA+ 42Mbps isn't quite what you were looking for.

[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]On further inspection, DDR RAM? What the hell?! What happened to 2012 and DDR3?[/citation]

Well, it is a Core i5, so I think it is a typo ... Unless you are talking about the Atom based SmartPC which uses LPDDR for power savings.

[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]What's the phone's resolution?[/citation]

Kind of an important omission if you ask me. If I were to guess, I would say 720x1280.

[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]Which CPU's in the phone?[/citation]

Qualcom MSM8260A (Dual Core Krait @ 1.5GHz)

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]JPForums[/nom]Well, it is a Core i5, so I think it is a typo ... Unless you are talking about the Atom based SmartPC which uses LPDDR for power savings.Kind of an important omission if you ask me. If I were to guess, I would say 720x1280.Qualcom MSM8260A (Dual Core Krait @ 1.5GHz)[/citation]
I'm hoping it is. I don't think an i5 even supports DDR...does the Atom? i for some reason remember it supporting LPDDR2...what would be point of LPDDR anyway? tiny bandwidth...more expensive since it's obsolete...and since DDR3 < DDR2 < DDR in terms of power consumption, i would assume the same goes for the LP versions.

Thanks for the CPU info. My god, a 1.5GHz Krait will probably do 3/5 of a mile in 10 seconds...

Glacier

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2004
[citation][nom]fuzzion[/nom]After Apple behaved like spoilt kids on the lawsuit, I and many others will never buy an apple product again.[/citation]
Agreed. I've never been an Apple fan, but after watching them in this lawsuit, I won't touch their products with a ten foot pole!

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Well, when Samsung launched its first android phones, it wasn't their top of the line galaxy line. Guessing they are doing the same for the W8 phones. Start with mid-grade phones and launch their high-end a quarter or two later. I would definitely love it if Samsung was able to integrate the W8 into their Galaxy line and let the consumers choose which OS they want in it, but I'm pretty sure google and microsoft would not want that happening.

booyaah

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Up to 128 GB eMMC HDD !!!!!!!!!!!

plus MicroSD slot...that phone could sport a disk capacity larger than most entry level laptops.

Sign me up for that little Atom tablet! perfect size, should get good battery life, next gen Atoms should have decent graphics (for use in a tablet anyways), and it would be x86 which means I can get my desktop while being on a budget! woot!

Think I will hold out to see other offerings on phones though... that one is nice, but I bet Nokia can do better.

faizyab

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
Your article has lots of information just like this I saw one another article check this
http://sevencolourgossips.wordpress.com/2012/08/31/samsung-ativ-swindows-8-powered-smart-phone/

faizyab

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012
Your article has lots of information just like this I saw one another article check this
http://sevencolourgossips.wordpress.com/2012/08/31/samsung-ativ-swindows-8-powered-smart-phone/

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
[citation][nom]shishir[/nom]@tomshardware. Please correct the battery specification of ATIV S. Its 2300 mAH and not 8200 mAH!!!!![/citation]
It's not just the battery, it doesn't support bt4.0 either, and has 1.0GB ram, no hdmi, etc. They've just copied the tab specs, which are plainly wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.