Samsung magician migration from sata ssd to nvme ssd

Status
Not open for further replies.

NewbieGeek

Reputable
Oct 11, 2015
Hey. So with the price of nvme ssds falling, I'm thinking about getting a samsung 960 evo (nvme). I currently use a sata ssd as my boot drive. So... Is samsung's migration software good enough that I could avoid reinstalling windows? (don't mind reinstalling windows, just a pain to reinstall all my programs)

USAFRet

Titan
1. Does your motherboard natively support booting from an NVMe drive?

2. What do you use this system for? The performance benefit of the NVMe over the SATA SSD might not be as great as you imagine.

3. To migrate...

Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
-----------------------------
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe as necessary.
Delete the 450MB Recovery Partition, here:
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/4f1b84ac-b193-40e3-943a-f45d52e23685/cant-delete-extra-healthy-recovery-partitions-and-healthy-efi-system-partition?forum=w8itproinstall
-----------------------------

NewbieGeek

Reputable
Oct 11, 2015
Thanks for the answer.

I have an asus z170a motherboard, so it supports nvme. Yes, the used space is less than any drive i might buy. I'd intend to use the ssd for a boot drive + a few games. I use my pc primarily for gaming. I've been thinking about getting more storage, and like I said, the cost of nvme is coming down. I'm aware that nvme drives don't always feel hugely faster than sata ssds, however, regardless, another ssd is another ssd for me. More speedy storage. :D

USAFRet

Titan

OK
Yes, more SSD space is always a good thing.
I just mentioned that because the price premium over another SATA III SSD might not be great.

My current house systems are all SSD only.
The only spinning drives are in or USB connected to the large NAS box. I'm not about to sport up 30TB of SSD space for that...:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.