[SOLVED] samsung old compact printer ml-1660: rear print disabled

mat257

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2012
hello everyone. hope you are fine.
as fore mentioned, i have that old but compact printer for my office. it works fine untill i choose duplex printing.
if i check through cotrnol panel (win7 sp1) - > devices and printer -> right click on default printer -> general tab -> front-rear printing is set as "yes" (down-left side)
the driver installed is ( as suggested by samsung web site) Samsung Universal Print Driver 3.
printing form office, it says - windows can't print because a problem with current printer setup - while from adobe (pdf) it launchs the print but in spool i have no print in queue, the popup for manual feeding is not displayed and the printer keep being in idle.
from universal driver, device options tab, i can roll up to a higher printer version, ie 1670.
now the duplex printing is enabled in all applications but the out is an error printout
any suggestion?? thanks in advance

Solution
Duplexing involves the hardware of physically moving the paper around not just a firmware feature. I doubt a printer without duplexing would just be disabled through the firmware, it's a lot of extra cost for parts they won't need. It's like building a car model with a 300 hp turbo engine, and one with 200 hp without the turbo but using the exact same engine in both and unplugging the power to the turbo part in the cheaper model. Why spend the extra cost on the part only to disable it. 600 dpi is just fine for very sharp text and images.

mat257

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2012
yes exactly, i just want the pc enable manual feeding rear print, then of course i would manually feed the paper tray.
the probem is the default universal drive 3 with 1660 series set does'nt ask me to feed, is like not available option.
but if i roll up the printer model to 1670 the duplex feed is enabled the print out is an error messag instead the layout. my model is 1665 so it place in the middle between that two models.
should i change the driver? which one would suit? thanks a lot

yes exactly, i just want the pc enable manual feeding rear print, then of course i would manually feed the paper tray.
the probem is the default universal drive 3 with 1660 series set does'nt ask me to feed, is like not available option.
but if i roll up the printer model to 1670 the duplex feed is enabled the print out is an error messag instead the layout. my model is 1665 so it place in the middle between that two models.
should i change the driver? which one would suit? thanks a lot

A universal driver for a printer is not likely to work with duplexing, those universal drivers are made for basic printing over a wide range of products. Not sure how you can do this unless you setup your pages as odd and even pages then flip the page and print second one on the other side.

Reactions: mat257

mat257

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2012
thanks for your replies. i got one last idea but i dnot know whether is practicable. i had before a ml 1670 which works perfectly in manual duplex, after having broken its fuser , i replaced it with the 1665.
since both the body are exactly the same, may i replace cpu mainborad of the 1665 with the 1670 one? so i would transfert the duplexing ability.
the only issue i may see i 1670 have a print resolution of 1200 x 1200 dpi while 1665 is 600 x 1200. what do you think about??

Duplexing involves the hardware of physically moving the paper around not just a firmware feature. I doubt a printer without duplexing would just be disabled through the firmware, it's a lot of extra cost for parts they won't need. It's like building a car model with a 300 hp turbo engine, and one with 200 hp without the turbo but using the exact same engine in both and unplugging the power to the turbo part in the cheaper model. Why spend the extra cost on the part only to disable it. 600 dpi is just fine for very sharp text and images.

Solution

mat257

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2012
hi , tahnks for your answer
hang-the-9
infact , as i told, both ml 1665 and 1670 have the same body, sampe hardware components. the difference stand in the 1665 lower printing resolution, from 1200 x 1200 to 600 x 1200.

TRENDING THREADS