Question Sandisk Cruzer Glide 3.0 switched to read only mode, rapid blue flashing, not writable

xenthia

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2012
Hello there everyone, I have one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Flash-Cruzer-Glide-SDCZ60-016G-B35/dp/B007YX9O9O
or a Sandisk Flash USB Cruzer Glide 3 with 16 GB capacity, which I mostly use for portable Linux and ubuntu installation here and there.
I was running Ubuntu off it when all of a sudden it failed on me, Ubuntu giving me errors. I had to restart the system, I took out the stick, logged into windows, connected the stick, and usually, this USB stick just breathes when connected, like the light comes on and then fades out slowly, like a breathing light on light off thingie-ish.
But now when I connect it is blinking very rapidly like now it is out of breath:tearsofjoy:, breathing very quickly, like imagine the police car blinker but very fast.

Now my thinking is that probably because I had the swap ON on this USB stick my ubuntu machine kept writing to it and since the flash USB sticks have a write limit, this flash is not writable anymore. Or am I completely wrong and these USB disks have a correcting feature on them and flag the "unwritable" sectors so only writing to a particular sector can not finish them off?

Also since these things are like 5-6$ on the market, I was thinking that maybe if we could solve this problem with my USB stick, if anyone else in the future has this "write-only" problem with their USB sticks can refer to this post, and try their chances.

Is there anything I can do to repair my USB stick?

Also, I have basic electronic tools handy, and I am willing to purchase some chips and such if they can help advance this post towards a workable solution. Thank you, everyone.

xenthia

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2012
You need to find an MPTool to rebuild the firmware. Tools like ChipGenius can identify the controller and NAND.
I am very thankful for your kind suggestion and consideration, you have no idea how much. It is morning where I live and I'm heading out, so in a couple of hours after I return I'll give those apps a try and I\ll share the results with you. Thank you.

xenthia

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2012
You need to find an MPTool to rebuild the firmware. Tools like ChipGenius can identify the controller and NAND.
Hello again I used ChipGenuis and it told me it could not detect my controller:
Code:
Description: [F:][G:]USB Mass Storage Device(SanDisk Cruzer Glide 3.0)
Device Type:  Mass Storage Device

Protocal Version: USB 3.00
Current Speed: High Speed
Max Current: 896mA

USB Device ID: VID = 0781 PID = 5597
Serial Number: 4C53#################

Device Vendor: SanDisk
Device Name: Cruzer Glide 3.0
Device Revision: 0100

Manufacturer: SanDisk
Product Model: Cruzer Glide 3.0
Product Revision: 1.00

Controller Part-Number: Unknown
I even used the powerful mode. So is it possible that it is not responding or gone?
Also since I could not detect the device I was not sure what firmware to use in the other tool.

Yes, that's a worry. Sorry, I don't know which tool is safe to use.

You could provide their URLs to virustotal.com. I tend to trust Kaspersky. Less popular AV software might produce false positives, especially due to the low level nature of these tools.

I would set up an old stand-alone PC and run this kind of software offline.

xenthia

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2012
Yes, that's a worry. Sorry, I don't know which tool is safe to use.

You could provide their URLs to virustotal.com. I tend to trust Kaspersky. Less popular AV software might produce false positives, especially due to the low level nature of these tools.

I would set up an old stand-alone PC and run this kind of software offline.
yes, thank you. But still, let us forget about the safety of the tools. I still could not either find out my flash USB's firmware. or get it repaired.