Sandy Bridge And Fusion Claim 60% of x86 CPU Market

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kileak

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
[citation][nom]uuicked[/nom]Bang for buck yeah maybe AMD but AMD doesn't produce enough bang to push gaming PC's to the max like Intel[/citation]

Yes it does, and plenty enough, yet that's basically what most people think and it is the reason why AMD hasn't gained more ground.

In most games, you won't notice a big enough gain going for that high priced Intel vs a high end AMD. Your eyes can't tell 3-5 fps less on something already running 60+ fps.

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
60% of processor shipments, not CPU market per total. Of course people are gonna choose a new platform over old ones if they buy a PC now. Getting a new platform was always the smart thing to do. AM3 and LGA1156 motherboards will be completely gone a few years from now. Maybe second hand... But there's a big risk there, you don't know how the owner treated it or how long it will last. You can only speculate.

[citation][nom]JamesSneed[/nom]Or go with Intel now since the 1155 socket will be used for Ivy Bridge as well. Plus 1155 motherboards are just hitting shelves in the last week that have PCIE 3.0(). Pretty future proof having Sata III, USB 3.0 and PCIE 3.0 along with knowing you can plop an Ivy bridge CPU in them later.My main PC is an AMD rig now but Intel just looks better and better these days.[/citation]
Except those are the first generation, the first of their kind. It's usually a good idea to go with second and sometimes third generation products, after they iron out all the bugs and design flaws. Learned this from experience with video cards and HDDs over the years (don't get a 1.5 TB HDD when the 1 TB storage process is more mature).

BSMonitor

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
This article is BS.

28.9% + 70.9% desktop is 99.8%. Sorry bud, but Intel and AMD do not have 100% of the x86 CPU market. There are others, and they account for more than the margin of error.

saturnus

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]BSMonitor[/nom]This article is BS.28.9% + 70.9% desktop is 99.8%. Sorry bud, but Intel and AMD do not have 100% of the x86 CPU market. There are others, and they account for more than the margin of error.[/citation]

There is only one x86 CPU manufacturer not mentioned, and they had 0.3% of desktop market share in 2010, so 0.2% now is probably accurate within a fraction of a percent.

Do people ever proof read their articles? How could this statement possibly be true?

"According to IDC, Intel was able to extend its dominance in servers and added 0.6 points to 94.5%, while Intel stood at 5.5%. "

If this were true Intel would own all the market. I think they ment "while AMD stood at 5.5%. "

Bulldozer is at the bottom of the list for AMD. The desktop is dying and there is no point in trying to compete with giant Intel. They have moved on and put their resources into other markets, hence the BD delay, and that's the smart move on their part. They really have no need for BD to even be competative against SB. I mean look how many PII X4's they are still selling because they offere excellent price/performance. 99% of users don't need anything faster than a PII X4.

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
[citation][nom]GeekApproved[/nom]99% of users don't need anything faster than a PII X4.[/citation]
Generally true, but the geeks do, and the geeks are the ones writing the reviews and telling other people what to buy.

Also, given modern software trends of bloat and laziness, more power is always good to have.

guyjones

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2010
AMD had better get its act together and make a push into the smartphone/tablet space. Clearly, the lion's share of future revenue is in the mobile space, not the desktop. I know the company has limited resources, but it would be insane to write off mobile and merely continue to tackle Intel's insurmountable dominance of the desktop chip market.

I was initially responding to the guy waiting for Bulldozer. You made my point better but didn't realize it. See the Intel 1155 motherboards coming out (ASRock Z68 EXTREME4 GEN3 is out now and MSI's should be out in a few days) with PCIE 3.0 and guaranteed Ivy Bridge support are gen 3 of the same chipset. AMD's new 990FX chipset with Bulldozer are first gen products.

G

u hate intel cpus/mobos but can't run the fastest gpu on your amd
why do u like amd again?

Status
Not open for further replies.