Sandy bridge die versions ????

hannibal2469

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
????? i dont understand
1.could you tell me how many different kinds of dies you have for the processors produced with the current architecture
2. also the core i3 2100 is that a dual core die or a quad core die with the the 2 cores disabled

The only thing that I can do is guess at the number of dies (different platters) that we are currently making because I just don’t deal in the manufacturing end. So I would guess that we have 6 or 7 dies including future products. Would it be possible to get an Intel® Core™ i3-2100 that was a quad core with 2 cores disabled? I don’t believe so.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

It's obvious that they did the chart wrong, or they assumed (correctly) that all consumer quad-cores have integrated graphics. Later in the article they have a list of all of the CPUs that launched, and all of them have integrated graphics. The fact that nobody caught the error is simple excitement of the time.

There probably is only one die for all quad-core SNBs. The lesser models simply have HT, some cache and part of the iGPU disabled. There probably are two die types for the dual-core SNBs -- it might be more efficient that way or something. Even if the dual-cores were really quad-cores with two disabled, Intel would never allow them to be enabled.

Why the question about this after so long anyway?

HeXiT:
That's definitely not the case. The quad-core SNB-E die is far larger than that due to quad-channel memory controller and 10MB of cache.

As best as I can tell, there are possibly three different dies out there.

- The first die is the quad-core die with 8 MB L3 and an IGP- these are D2 stepping. The IGP can be enabled/disabled, the L3 can be cut down, and possibly cores can be turned off to make a dual-core unit.
- The second die is a dual-core unit with 4 MB of L3 cache and an IGP. This is the J1-stepping unit.
- The last die is a dual-core unit with 2 MB of L3 cache and an IGP, used for the Pentium Dual Core and Celeron units. This has the stepping Q0.

I might be wrong, but this makes sense- one quad-core die, one larger-cache dual-core die, and one smaller-cache dual-core die for the real cheapie parts.

hannibal2469

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
@leapsfromshadows

hahah the doubt just popped into my head so i started searching for an answer no particular reason
BTW are u sure or are u making a guess could u cite your source

@MU_engineer
thnks but are u sure or are u making a guess