Sandy Bridge-E CPUs Shipping Without Coolers?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hopefully most people buying these chips will already have sense enough to know that a heat sink is required.
I am sure Intel will put a nice big sign notifying of this. I think its good to allow the end user to buy what they need for their application.

garage1217

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
Yep, Have read about that, but I have read that was on the early revisions? Mine was from a month ago. Even if so, and say it is a full 13C higher, I am still within spec, overclocked a decent amount and the system is running perfectly stable :) My average on games and all programs hovers around 35C, can only get it up to 45C running benchmarks non stop. So that would put me at 48C real world on all of the apps I run if I add in 13C. Not bad!

Forgot to mention the 28C idle temp is with the fan running at 25% :) I have it set to ramp up sharp at 40C. Only downside is when she does ramp up to full, she sounds like a vacuum cleaner lol However most of the time, the fan never ramps past 50% and is very quiet.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]someguynamedmatt[/nom]Meh. I'm perfectly happy with my little Phenom II quad humming along beside me. It's reliable, snappy, and it gets the job done. Maybe for someone who wants nothing other than bragging rigbhts, these will be worth it. But to people like me, being able to render a 3D layout in Blender or a video in After Effects 30% faster just isn't worth $1000.[/citation]
A 30% reduction in render time is quite significant, and while that on it's own might not warrant paying 5-10x more (even for pro applications), I think you're also vastly underestimating the performance of these upcoming Sandy Bridge-E processors.

The i7-990x, a six core processor based on Intel's previous gen architecture already outperforms a Phenom II x4 by quite a bit more then 30% in the applications you mentioned. Especially Blender, where the performance increase is probably much closer to 2x. And that can definitely be worth the price premium if the extra performance is needed and put to use. It may not make a lot of sense for the average user or gamer, but I think to suggest that bragging rights is the only reason anyone invests in a high performance processor is a bit ignorant.

_Pez_

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
Looks like now I'm changing to Intel cpu's LGA 2011, because Bulldozer has taken to long and I keep seeing delays from AMD like crazies. I will buy bulldozer only if the Octa core part is better than the flagship from Intel if not nevermind, I will buy Intel again.

It's a very reasonable assumption that there are some people, somewhere, who will pop in the chip and fire it up without a thought.

It remains to be seen however, how detrimental this may be. Many can recall the old Tom's video of simulating what happens to a P4 and an AMD processor if the heat-sink should fall off during some intense quake III action.

Those upgrade cards intrigue me. Suppose someone figures out how to unlock more processor performance through firmware software. Now that intel sells a non-existent good called "performance", would it then become illegal to soft-mod a processor yourself and distribute your technique freely? I'm just trying to wrap my head around the "double-dipping". You'd think it would be free and offered as a "thank you" for their continued support.

alyon

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
So $300 for the low end sandy bridge-E and (likely) another $250 (easily) for a "entry" level socket 2011 mobo. All of this equating to almost no performance increase for anything gaming related unless you have tri-gtx-580s that max out a 8x PCI-express lane.

This seems like it will only be a good upgrade for productivity software. Having 16 sata ports, 8 dimms for ram, and quad channel memory are just treats that will have little benefit to 99% of consumers. I remember going from dual to tri channel memory had almost no benefit outside of HEAVY memory related processes... which are few and far between.

I will stick with my 2600k for now. I just hope this doesn't make an excuse for developers to make their games even more CPU reliant. I have had quite a few games that work the hell out of my CPU while my gpus sit at 50-60%. I don't want that to be a trend.

I held out as long as i could waiting to upgrade my tired q6600. I finally gave in to the sparkly lights and spinny doo-dads and wish i'd not waited. I can't imagine anything being much better than the i5-2500k / i7-2600k as far as gaming and amateur multimedia creation goes. The new 1155 E-series may have higher out of the box clocks but probably hit the same ceiling when overclocking.

How much L3 cache do you need? I don't understand the micro-processor architecture well enough to determine what benefits come from several more megabytes of cache over a processor which already has several megabytes of cache. You've got the L1, L2, and L3, and each level gets bigger but slower. Maybe jumbo size caches is the same as shouting about having quad channel memory and pcie 3.0... excellent bullet points for your PowerPoint presentation... idk, just rambling now.

I predict some very exciting and interesting articles / reviews to come.

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
[citation][nom]clonazepam[/nom]It's a very reasonable assumption that there are some people, somewhere, who will pop in the chip and fire it up without a thought.It remains to be seen however, how detrimental this may be. Many can recall the old Tom's video of simulating what happens to a P4 and an AMD processor if the heat-sink should fall off during some intense quake III action.Those upgrade cards intrigue me. Suppose someone figures out how to unlock more processor performance through firmware software. Now that intel sells a non-existent good called "performance", would it then become illegal to soft-mod a processor yourself and distribute your technique freely? I'm just trying to wrap my head around the "double-dipping". You'd think it would be free and offered as a "thank you" for their continued support.[/citation]

Pretty sure it would be a breach of the DMCA because "the act of circumventing an access control, whether or not there is actual infringement of copyright itself"

quangluu96

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
WTF? sounds like buying a Lamborghini with no wheels, and u gotta get it serperately, are u sure these are the real leaks? i mean those stock doesnt cost that much...why cant they just include them? if this is true im disappointed in intel..ill wait till the bulldozer news, if it looks good ima switch...been a fan of intel for years.

The Greater Good

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
[citation][nom]Azn Cracker[/nom]I already thought the $315 Sandy Bridge 2600k was a huge waste...[/citation]
If you think the 2600k is a waste, then you have never been on a computer that has one.

/Yes, I have one.
//Worth every.single.penny

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
i think its better if they include the fan with CPU and jack the price, much less of a pain than having to buy one separately. This is pretty dumb. And 180W 8O

ProDigit10

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
What a deceiving name!
Especially after AMD named their low power cpu's the 'E'-series, intel actually calls their high end/high power consumption series the E-series cpu's!

neblix

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010
I like how this is a big deal just because it's on the headline.

EARTH TO READERS:

FAST HYPERTHREADED HEXA CORE PROCESSORS AT 180W TDP WILL RUN BURNING HOT ON PATHETIC STOCK COOLERS.

That's why it's called BLAZING FAST.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I have no doubt in my mind that Toms will come through for all of us gamers to inform us that this $999 chip is a waste of money for current games...or, at least games that will be available at the time of the launch of this series.

titan078

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2010
....people just like to whine. This isn't like buying a grey box from staples without a cooler. This is a stand alone processor That you have to put into a computer. You have to take a cooling solution off in order to install this in an old box. If you are building a new rig and haven't figured out that you need a cooler you most likely wont get to the point of turning it on. Silliness.

[citation][nom]Azn Cracker[/nom]I already thought the $315 Sandy Bridge 2600k was a huge waste, now they are launching another $1000 cpu? Steve Jobs should buy me one.[/citation]
you dont realise how good you have it now. My first 386DX PC was $3000, and that was not top of the line at the time. My old single core Athlon 64 3500+ was about $300 at the time and was not top of the line. So $315 for a top of the line SB Processor is pretty damn good. and $200 for the only slightle lesser 2500k, intel's offerings have never been more attractive. I do agree though, that a $1000 processor is not worth it in any way shape or form for a home user for the small benefits it may have.

Nnymrod

Distinguished
May 20, 2011
I'm all about not having to buy a stock HSF every time I buy a processor... Already have a bulldozer build started tho... no SB-E for me.

joeman42_43

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2011
[citation][nom]garage1217[/nom]So... First intel is gouging customers by selling scratch cards to unlock features of chips they already purchased. Now they are shipping chips without stock coolers, but guarantee they are not passing any savings onto the customer... no... instead they SELL you a heatsink lol Remind me again why I will never buy an intel chip no matter if they are faster than AMD or not? They are out to bend you over any way they can and make sure you have to buy a whole new mobo, chip and all every time you want to upgrade. And now want to gouge further! I bet next they will charge you for an intel sticker in the box. Just the intel way I guess!I can say I was impressed on the 1100T I picked up a month ago from newegg, the stock heapipe cooler was impressive for stock, kept idle temps around 28C and allowed a stable overclock of 3.8 / 4ghz-turbo. Verified stable after 3 hours of burn in with all cores at 100% and no errors! Hottest it got in my well vented case was 45C!! And it came with the chip and I did not have to pay extra![/citation]

Hahahhaa, enjoy your discount part! I bet you drive a corolla too! hahahahahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.