Sandy Bridge-E CPUs Shipping Without Coolers?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know how trustworthy CPUID Hardware Monitor Pro is in relation to a cpu's watts, but under prime95, small FFTs...

Q6600, 3.6ghz @ 1.45v about 130 watts
2600k, 4.6ghz @ 1.35v about 100 watts

What is the wattage on the i7 1366s?

What the hell is on those chips to use 180 watts? My electrical bill is already borderline ridiculous.

cybersans

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
if electric bills is an issue, go get low power processor. do not yell. extreme processor is for extreme users who doesn't care about their electric bills ;)

everyone getting so snipppy over NOTHING

an overclocked P4 chews more then 150-180w easy

a AMD 4x4 // Skulltrail // modern dual socket rig will chew easy 180w

a modern high end video card can chew 200+w EACH, alot of people use TWO

why does everyone think this 180w max is "extreme" ?

if you cant afford a high power bill or high end power bills or dont need the performance THEN DONT BUY A HIGH END PRODUCT this is stupid bad mouthing the quickest products on the market just because you have no understanding or think whatever you use your computer for is what everyone else uses theres for, or that the performance of your rig is "sufficent" for everyone because you are dead wrong.

Its like a car - if a V12 isnt for you then dont buy one, it doesnt mean its a bad product, it means its not the product for you

no need to be all childish

So you're saying tdp is completely irrelevant and uninteresting?

All I'm saying is that it is interesting... lol @ u... especially when some cooling systems are built based on total wattage (silverstone tj11 is it? rated at up to 1000 watts of air cooling).

I've got over 600 watts just for my gpus when gaming... I didn't completely dismiss that fact despite going high end, just like no one else would ignore it either...

I don't understand your comment, or really the need for it. All I see is the obvious being stated once again.

ill state the obvious

6-12 cores (8 to start with i believe, plus HT), one metric f**-tonne of cache, ~36+ PCIE lanes (PCIE3.0?), high speed (QPI?) links to southbridge/motherboard, quad channel memory

if you add a high end chipset's power usage (eg X58 - ~24w) to a 6-core cpu its AVERAGE

thats the OBVIOUS

Status
Not open for further replies.