Sapphire HD 5770 issues

mocoloco90

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
I just built my first computer and I am running windows 7 64 bit and I have been experiencing some issues with my 5770. Everyonce in a while the system will crash and reboot right after the fan on the video card seems to spin up to 100%. I currently am running slightly older drivers because I have heard that the new drivers are completely terrible. I was wondering if these problems are known to happen with older drivers and will be resolved once proper drivers come out or if my card is messed up and it should be RMA'd

mocoloco90

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010

I downloaded 10.2 and they do seem to be working better, which I am thankful for. I also came to the conclusion that my case sucks so i took off the plastic window for cooler air to get to it, but that seems to have helped it a lot

mocoloco90

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
It worked for while, and now I am experiencing shaky screens and random restarts constantly, like 5 a day. I have the fan turned on at 85 percent all the time and im really starting to think that this is just a defective card. which i am really not happy about. I only use it to play wow but i have experienced the restarts not only in game but also when i am simply surfing the web. Do you think I should RmA it?

mocoloco90

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
My complete system specs are

4 gb gskill DDR3 1333 MHz ram
amd phenom IIx4 925 2.8GHz
Sapphire HD5770
WD caviar blue HDD
Asus M4A785TD-V EVO motherboard

and since that motherboard has onboard graphics i had to disable them and switch the primary video controller. It was at GFX0-GPP-IGFX-PCI. and i switched it to PCI-GFXO-GPP-IGFX. The other two options are GPP-GFXO-IGFX-PCI and IGFX-GFXO-GPP-PCI. I was wondering if this could have something to do with it and If i selected the right one. i really have no idea what they mean and my motherboard manual didnt give me a explanation of them and i was wondering if you had any idea what they were. thank you for all the help, sorry about the delayed response time

twarg2

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
The 10.2 drivers do seem to be pretty good. Given you are crashing periodically, you might try 2 things:

1) check your system file integrity (bring up command window as administrator, and type "sfc /scannow"). If you have integrity issues that can't be fixed by sfc, you can examine the sfc output (start notepad as administrator, open the file C:\windows\logs\CBS\CBS.log, and look for the string "cannot"). The output will specify what files sfc believes are no longer good and should be repaired.

2) debug your crash dump file (C:\windows\MEMORY.DMP ?) by downloading and installing the Windows 64-bit debugger (windebug) and running the following command in the debugger: "!analyze -v;r;kv;lmtn;lmtsmn". This will give you some insight into where you are crashing.

Hope this helps!