Question Sapphire Pulse RX5700XT - won't let MB Post

Anton Hunter

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2013
My RX5700XT (water-cooled) had worked fine...with -20C temps since water-blocked). Turned it on as usual and the system would not post...My ASUS TUF-Gaming B550-Plus MB LEDs leave the GPU light (white) on, even though the POST light (green) comes on as well. I tried changing PCIe16 slots to no avail. Then I rebuilt the GPU back to original condition...the fans & light come on; but, the POST light AND the GPU light both are on...and the system won't POST. While I had the pcb isolated, I checked it over under strong lenses for any signs of burning or broken solder; but, only found a bit of thermal paste overflow by the actual GPU. I cleaned it all up with alcohol and then re-inserted it into the MB...with the result posted above.

Right now I'm back to cross-fired 480s, which is OK for now; but I'd sure like to get this figured out. Anyone at TOM'S have any clues what I could try? (I've been holding off on trying a home-remedy like reflow soldering.)

Thank you, in advance for any help ideas.

Anton

CS_044

Commendable
Aug 25, 2020
My RX5700XT (water-cooled) had worked fine...with -20C temps since water-blocked). Turned it on as usual and the system would not post...My ASUS TUF-Gaming B550-Plus MB LEDs leave the GPU light (white) on, even though the POST light (green) comes on as well. I tried changing PCIe16 slots to no avail. Then I rebuilt the GPU back to original condition...the fans & light come on; but, the POST light AND the GPU light both are on...and the system won't POST. While I had the pcb isolated, I checked it over under strong lenses for any signs of burning or broken solder; but, only found a bit of thermal paste overflow by the actual GPU. I cleaned it all up with alcohol and then re-inserted it into the MB...with the result posted above.

Right now I'm back to cross-fired 480s, which is OK for now; but I'd sure like to get this figured out. Anyone at TOM'S have any clues what I could try? (I've been holding off on trying a home-remedy like reflow soldering.)

Thank you, in advance for any help ideas.

Anton
Defo sounds like a hardware fault on the 5700XT, when it "doesn't post" do you get any display at all, or nothing, because "no display" is quite common for failed cards.

Anton Hunter

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2013
Defo sounds like a hardware fault on the 5700XT, when it "doesn't post" do you get any display at all, or nothing, because "no display" is quite common for failed cards.

I get no display whatsoever. Its really weird though, because both the GPU light AND the POST light are "on"...at the same time. I'm resigned to taking it to a tech shop to get it analyzed/possibly fixed. If reflow soldering will fix it, I'd rather not do it at home; but, where it can be done using the correct 'machinery.'

CS_044

Commendable
Aug 25, 2020
I get no display whatsoever. Its really weird though, because both the GPU light AND the POST light are "on"...at the same time. I'm resigned to taking it to a tech shop to get it analyzed/possibly fixed. If reflow soldering will fix it, I'd rather not do it at home; but, where it can be done using the correct 'machinery.'
If you have an igpu, could try flash the vbios on the card incase it bricked?