Sapphire R7 260x black screen!!!

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
Bought a sapphire R7 260x 2gb(says oc edition but core and memory clocks are lesser than referrence) 25 days back.
Whole system is new.Got a black screen just when sitting on the desktop two days after i built the pc.Restarted pc,everythjing fine for 2 weeks,black screen again,all components running fine inside the cabinet,still black screen tried unplugging and replugging DVi cable,no go,monitor still gets signal after black screen.This was with the the driver which came along with the gpu.
Then installed 13.12 from amd webiste,black screen next day,just when browsing the internet.
Uninstalled that too and installed 13.12c from sapphire which had catalyst version 14.1,worked fine for 8 days,black screen again when watching a movie.Movie sound form the speaker turned into a wird long loop,still monitor was recieving signal.So uninstalled that too and installed 14.3 beta.Restarted the pc and when installiong arkham origins,black screen again,restated the pc and uninstalled that too and installed 13.10.Worked fine for one day and black screen again just after starting the system when browsing thorugh my folders on the hard disk.

Everytime i do a clean uninstall and boot into safe mode and run driver sweeper and only then i install another version.

When gaming this has never happened,No heating issue,max temp is 76 even with crysis 3.To be noted:I live in India,chennai.It is summer now and temps are between 35 and 40c outside.

Even tried leaving the system on for 5 minutes after black screen,display does'nt comeback,all components would still be running.I have to hard shut down and restart everytime this happens.

Even before i bought this card i knew many are facing this issue,with all manufacturers like asus,xfx,sapphire and all.Stll took a risk by going with the card.I just wanna know if it is hardware issue or a driver related problem.If its latter i can wait for a table version.Just wanna make sure it is not a hardware issue,if so i will have to rma this card.

I could not relate each occurance with another,happens completely random.Everytime happened under diferrent scenario_Only thing i could get out of those were like the gpu did not have lot of work to do.Was almost at idle.

Tested drivers:
13.20(worked fine for 2 days black screen,again worked fine for 2 weeks,black screen) which came along with the disc(for some reason this was released before 13.10 or 13.12)
13.10(good for 1 day)
13.12(good for 2 days)
13.12c from sapphire website.(good for 8 days)
14.3 beta(not even for 1 hour).

My whole system config is:
I3-3220
Gigabyte B75m-D3h
Corsair value select 4gb 1600mhz ddr3
Seagate barracuda 1 tb
Sapphire R7 260x 2g Gddr5
Power supply:Corsair VS450(UK version)34A on 12v.

Solution
From mtdew332:

"So after two weeks of searching for the cause / solution to my Black Screen issue, I think i've finally nailed it down.
With some help from overclock.net forums.
I'll just quote it here.

(This black screen from power transitions occurs because the memory clock jumps up to full speed (1250, etc), while the GPU voltage (which also controls the IMC--this is the problem) is STILL running at idle volts of 0.9xxx). That idle voltage is too low to handle the IMC, which is controlling the memory running at that speed (this is NOT due to defective memory modules btw), and thus the card black screens.)

The fix, is to increase the GPU voltage, which ALSO increases the idle voltage to the IMC as well. (previous...

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014

picked as solution by mistke,can some moderator just remove it...

jayadratha

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009

Don't know may this sudden hang can pressure the CPU or motherboard. But HDD can be affected because we have to shut down then forcefully when that black screen happens. Don't know if it will but may be..

And yes I ran hardware monitor in background and was playing battlefield 4. So after playing 5hrs around I quit and saw hardware monitor showing +12 voltage reading like this. Min: 5.760v, Max: 11.904v
+3.3 v also affected like this. Min: 0.192, Max: 3.392v
How can this be possible?? in 5.7v the card was working properly?? I'm shocked.

jayadratha

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009

I'm already in tension and this software giving me more. I used speedfan some times back then it shows all min max and current value of +12volt as 6.55volt. Hardware monitor is still good than this. :p

jayadratha

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009

I got it. HWMonitor 64bit has bug. HWMonitor 32bit and Hardware info 32bit 64bit both working perfect. they all giving me 11.712volt for +12voltage in 100% GPU load.

Today I got the problem again I was not using the pc. went for dinner when came saw that black screen. I noticed some things. May be helpfull
1. Monitor is black, I mean monitor getting signal for black picture. otherwise monitor will say no signal.

2. Keyboard is not working, Numlock led stuck, but something using my HDD. cause HDD LED is behaving like normal use. sometime blinking some time not. some time stable for 2-3sec. like this. So is the pc not hanged?? PC working??

3. I didnt get any buzzing sound from speaker like yours.

4. & I'm using provided DVI to VGA adaptor to connect monitor.. & using win 8.1 64bit.

Did you used WHQL certified driver from sapphire?? WHQL is certification from microsoft. they give it after testing severals. nVidia always gives WHQL certified driver. But amd given one which is old.
http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/downloads/?pid=2071&psn=0006&lid=1&os=15
I got so much bad review about ATI. this was my first use of ATI. I will never use any gpu of AMD. I think for this type of reasong AMD gives gpu cpu both in such a low price. AMD sucks.

UPDATE: Check this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k5Ami4BJWc

Please answer all my question separately. We need to debug the problem.

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
Good to know that you sorted the 12v issue out...

For your questions:
1.even for me the monitor gets signal but black color..
2.Even for me the keyboard was stuck
3.Even i don't get the buzzing sound normally,buzzing sound only when i get black screen when watching a movie,thats because of the movie's sound looping.
4.I am using a direct dvi cable..

If you had completely gone through the post you would have had answers for all your questions, i've mentioned everything already in the post...

And yes i have tried all the drivers...

Tried the 13.12c from sapphire and 13.10 from sapphire..

13.12 from amd,14.3 beta from amd and the driver which came with the gpu cd.

Regarding the youtube video i have already watched that video,you can even see my comment there...i just added that tdrdelay thing to the registry on 15th...

jayadratha

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009

15th means after the last occurrence?? Ok. I also commented on that video. I was thinking if the card doing this intentionally for safety. then that tdrDelay time increasing may harm it. Please review me how your pc running after that tdrdelay tweak??? Is it solved??

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
No issue after the tdrdelay thing but still i would not bet on it because we have seen it working good for longer period before.Lets see how it goes.But that should not harm the gpu in any way.That key just specifies the waiting time for the gpu to respond.We should normally have that key there,but we don't have it for some reason...Lets just wait and see how it goes...

And how long did you run the game when you checked that 12v voltage,because iam just worried about my 12v voltage...

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
The card does not black the display out for safety reason,it is either a problem with the graphic card or the driver.The only safety measure the gpu knows is to throttle down when the temp goes high or turn it off when it reaches the max operating temp,we don't fall under either.So we need not worry about ruining the card..

jayadratha

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009

I played around 5-6hrs

jayadratha

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009

I got maximum 81degree Celsius.
Hey this problem is 100% a driver problem. Read AMD catalyst 13.12 driver's release notes.

They said one sentence in the RESOLVED ISSUES list
"​​​May resolve intermittent black screens or display loss observed on some AMD Radeon™ R9 290X and AMD Radeon R9 290 graphics cards"

So they know they have black screen problems in their drivers. So I think AMD is working to solve this issue. Let see.

jayadratha

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009

nowadays I'm investigating. didnt do it before. because now I'm frustrated for this problem.

I have installed again that 13.12c catalyst driver. and got 3times that black screen. 1st time I got that I did some checking. I left my pc unused for 10 min then for power saving monitor turns off and it brings black screen. I checked two times and in both case same thing happened.
Which version of catalyst driver you are using?? and after tweaking the registry how do you feeling???

jayadratha

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009

That means you didnt used you pc after tweaking. Ok. hey you didnt said which driver version you are using.

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014

No i did use it for few days..Did not give a problem there..Driver version is 13.12 from amd site..

jayadratha

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009

I have done the reg tweak. but today when I was listening song and working in bluestack the problem occurred. But after the problem I heard the song like more 5-6sec.
I'm using 13.12c driver from sapphire.

jayadratha

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009

Yes I'm thinking it too. But RMA will give again this card. The card have no problem. Problem is in driver. It was my first and last purchase of ATI.
Btw you got issue after tweak??
I reported to amd today. Please report it you too. If you did do it again. May it help us. I'm gonna mad.

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
No i haven't seen the black screen yet.And iam back home and using the pc now...I have aready raised a ticket with sapphire..There i no point in reportin g the issue to amd..Amd at the end is going to direct us to sapphire..

abirtj

Honorable
Sep 15, 2013
look i have the same problem, live in Bangladesh and have the 2GB OC version, 550W Thermaltake PSU and it seem Aravind92 and I have the same problem, weird thing is it never crashed during game play only when watching videos or surfing the net sometime when using skype..... i think its the zero-core thing that the new cards have it turns itself off when idle....

jayadratha

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009

@abirtj, I and Aravind92 trying to find the reason of this problem from last 1month. But no success. But recently I have installed catalyst 14.4 the latest driver. After that I have tested something like left pc without pc for 1hr in which I have seen the problem. But now I didnt find it. so you may try. Though its not sure that it is solved. But you can try it. Try and if you find any problem just say us.

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
Even i thougt of trying the 14.4 rc..But later decided to wait for the whql version..And one more thing haven't seen the issue since i did that registry tweak...And even i left the pc idle for about 4-5 hours today and no black screen...And the fact is it does'nt happen always under a particular scenario..Like once it will black after one hour of idling and again will not black screen even if left idle for 5 hours...