Sapphire R7 260x black screen!!!

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
Bought a sapphire R7 260x 2gb(says oc edition but core and memory clocks are lesser than referrence) 25 days back.
Whole system is new.Got a black screen just when sitting on the desktop two days after i built the pc.Restarted pc,everythjing fine for 2 weeks,black screen again,all components running fine inside the cabinet,still black screen tried unplugging and replugging DVi cable,no go,monitor still gets signal after black screen.This was with the the driver which came along with the gpu.
Then installed 13.12 from amd webiste,black screen next day,just when browsing the internet.
Uninstalled that too and installed 13.12c from sapphire which had catalyst version 14.1,worked fine for 8 days,black screen again when watching a movie.Movie sound form the speaker turned into a wird long loop,still monitor was recieving signal.So uninstalled that too and installed 14.3 beta.Restarted the pc and when installiong arkham origins,black screen again,restated the pc and uninstalled that too and installed 13.10.Worked fine for one day and black screen again just after starting the system when browsing thorugh my folders on the hard disk.

Everytime i do a clean uninstall and boot into safe mode and run driver sweeper and only then i install another version.

When gaming this has never happened,No heating issue,max temp is 76 even with crysis 3.To be noted:I live in India,chennai.It is summer now and temps are between 35 and 40c outside.

Even tried leaving the system on for 5 minutes after black screen,display does'nt comeback,all components would still be running.I have to hard shut down and restart everytime this happens.

Even before i bought this card i knew many are facing this issue,with all manufacturers like asus,xfx,sapphire and all.Stll took a risk by going with the card.I just wanna know if it is hardware issue or a driver related problem.If its latter i can wait for a table version.Just wanna make sure it is not a hardware issue,if so i will have to rma this card.

I could not relate each occurance with another,happens completely random.Everytime happened under diferrent scenario_Only thing i could get out of those were like the gpu did not have lot of work to do.Was almost at idle.

Tested drivers:
13.20(worked fine for 2 days black screen,again worked fine for 2 weeks,black screen) which came along with the disc(for some reason this was released before 13.10 or 13.12)
13.10(good for 1 day)
13.12(good for 2 days)
13.12c from sapphire website.(good for 8 days)
14.3 beta(not even for 1 hour).

My whole system config is:
I3-3220
Gigabyte B75m-D3h
Corsair value select 4gb 1600mhz ddr3
Seagate barracuda 1 tb
Sapphire R7 260x 2g Gddr5
Power supply:Corsair VS450(UK version)34A on 12v.

Solution
From mtdew332:

"So after two weeks of searching for the cause / solution to my Black Screen issue, I think i've finally nailed it down.
With some help from overclock.net forums.
I'll just quote it here.

(This black screen from power transitions occurs because the memory clock jumps up to full speed (1250, etc), while the GPU voltage (which also controls the IMC--this is the problem) is STILL running at idle volts of 0.9xxx). That idle voltage is too low to handle the IMC, which is controlling the memory running at that speed (this is NOT due to defective memory modules btw), and thus the card black screens.)

The fix, is to increase the GPU voltage, which ALSO increases the idle voltage to the IMC as well. (previous...

jayadratha

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009

yes. but I did the tweak too but I got the problem when I was in bluestack. Now I have installed 14.4 and deleted that tweak. :D Didnt get problem. let see.
I can sell this card but the main thing I was considering is mantle. I will not get mantle in nVidia :(

jayadratha

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009

I wish that problem solved in this 14.4. I didn't get any problem in the release version of 14.4. Now downloading WHQL version. & dont forget to remove that reg tweak....

jayadratha

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009

Yes release notes says that it have issues like BSOD.

But I didnt get anything till now. dont know if it will happen or not. but I did this things before installing new driver
1.used Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) to uninstall drivers. It also deleted intel and nvidia drivers. because in this machine I have used all types of card
2.Then used AMD cleanup utility.
3.Deleted full "CurrentControlSet" folder where we were making tweaks. After installing driver that folder again created but withing that folder some folders are not there. anyway not making any problem.

Then I have installed driver.
May it help

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
Even i used ddu and all..Then installed the new one..But did not remove the tweak which we did..Atleast we've got better now,seems to be the same issue which we've been having previously..But now it just black screens and immediately restarts with a bluse screen error..Tried playnig videos again...No issue at alll..

And details of the bsod,got from event viewer..

Unable to produce a minidump file from the full dump file.(was not able to create a minidump for some reason).

But had this bugcheck code in the nest error:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0xa0000001 (0x0000000000000005, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: .

Now i have removed the entry which we created in registry..
Removed flash player..
Removed the driver again.
Uninstalled driver.
Restarted into safe mode.
Ran ddu.
Driver sweeper and driver fusion(but driver fusion did not find anything).
Have disabled hardware accelaration in firefox..
Going to install the driver again.And then will install flash player...

But i did have any issues till i installed the new driver..No black screens in the past 9 days..Till no black screen,just a bsod...

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
Forgot to mention i deleted a file called amdacpusrsvc from c:amd folder..That folder would normally contain extarted files froma driver..But had this file too..I normally would delet the whole folder..When i tried to delete the folder yesterday-windows said the file was held by process with the same name,ended the process and delted the file...Don't know if that caused the issue...

Mursel Musabasic

Reputable
Apr 27, 2014
Hi there...

I bought my asus r7 260x dc2 few days ago and i'm experiencing black screen problem only on restart. In fact its not a true black screen there is backlight.

These are my other specs:
i5 3470
asus p8h77-v le
wdc 1tb
ms 550W
kingston 8gb ram
win 8.1 pro
graphic card driver version: 13.251 (its from CD)
3d mark dx11 ran without problem, pc mark 8 ran without problem
max temp 81C

There is also a interesting thing:

if i restart from login screen it works and it shows me again login screen.
if i restart from my desktop it will show loading dots and then it will go black screen.

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014
Yeah i read a lot about the issue..unfortunately no one has a fix for this..If i've understood right..that happens only if ou restart right,not when shutting own and restarting?just remove the old driver the same way in which we've been doing..Then install the recent version that should fix the issue.Atleast you have a problem which can be narrowed down to one particular situation,which makes troubleshooting easy...

wh3resmycar

Distinguished
i have 2 r7 260x from sapphire. didn't encounter any issue with it not unless i overclock the cards. haven't had time to back read the whole thread but may i ask if you are overclocking the cards?

both cards fail at some point when i overlock. 1 of my card is a 1050mhz and the other one is the dual vdi 1150mhz version.

it fails when i add 50mhz on each of them.

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014

No i haven't oc'ed anything...Everything is at stock and i have the 1050mhz version..

That' what i am wondering,not everyone is facing this problem..That is the only thing which makes me think it is a problem with my card rather than the driver...Still i am not sure...

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014

You card is a factory oce'd one..The values are perfect...

Mursel Musabasic

Reputable
Apr 27, 2014
Before installing 14.4 i uninstalled old version 13.251 through add/remove and after that i used amd clean utillity.

UPDATE: sorry i just checked this driver sweeper and now its renamed to ddu i used a day ago.

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014

Ddu leaves some entries out.. use both ddu and driversweeper..

Mursel Musabasic

Reputable
Apr 27, 2014
I returned my card and ordered gf 750ti.

Anyway its interesting that if you do restart from login screen it returns to login without black screen to appear.
But.. if u login and do restart from desktop black screen shows up immediately after loading windows screen. thats the case with my card and pc.

Note: i tried my card on job computer without luck almost same pc except it have 4gb ram and os is win7 x64.

Aravind92

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2014

Did you dee the problem again.Drivers does't seem to fix it..Even the new 14.4 has the problem...