Sapphire RX460 OC 2GB Performance issue

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

morit

Reputable
Aug 4, 2015
Hello. A couple of days ago i got a RX460 . The card is supposed to be able to play CSGO,Dota,Other esports games with no problems. My CSGO is running at barely 60 fps on lowest settings and dropping below 50. My cpu usage is around 20-40 % when playing games. HDMI is plugged in the RX460,not motherboard. Full pc specs - AMD A8-7600 Radeon R7 APU, (3.1ghz) , Sapphire RX460 OC 2GB,MSI A68HM-P33 V2 Motherboard, 2x 4gb Ram sticks. And it's the same with other games. It should be able to run them but i get low fps. Windows 10 issue? Drivers are up to date and everything is installed.

Solution

There is your problem then. Your cpu id throttling to survive. Open your pc up, clean your heat snik and reapply new thermal paste. Once your temps fall at normal state, you will have quite better fps

morit

Reputable
Aug 4, 2015

I don't really get. So i see the clocks,stuff like that. What should i upload here?

Wow! Yeah, you got some major throttling issues with your CPU. It doesn't even make sense in conjunction with your temps.
First, I would try to update the MB BIOS to the latest. See if that fixes this...weirdness.

CAUTION WITH THIS STEP - if your CPU/MB is failing this step may cause massive instability and even push your system over the edge into oblivion.
Try disabling all power/thermal throttling in BIOS. (disable cool'n'quiet, power now!, and all the C states). You MUST monitor your temps when you do this. Anything above 68ºC is no good. Ideally, you'll keep it at or below 62ºC.

Sorry, I kinda used the wrong terminology. If the CPU gets to hot it has its own internal mechanism for downlocking and such - not much you can do with that. But you can disable the things I mentioned (cool'n'quiet, power now!, and any other low power states). If you hop into BIOS and look around you should be able to find it.

After disabling all you can, let us know if the CPU is still going 'clock crazy'.

morit

Reputable
Aug 4, 2015
I use a stock cooler that came with the pc. Im not sure what it is. I can check later i will get thermal paste tommorow and we can see if that helps. But i dont think that heat is the issue. The cpu underclocks at usage. When 30 % usage is fine but higher underclocks it really bad

The CPU underclocks because of the temps. If it had the proper clock of 3,8 you would see temps above 80 at idle.
The thermal paste will help for sure. It will lower temps especially if it's a quality paste. Consider buying an aftermarket cooler if you don't see a big improvement as the stock one might be faulty.
Do you have proper air ventilation in your case? How many fans?

http://www.amd.com/en-us/innovations/software-technologies/technologies-gaming/over-drive

ALWAYS use overdrive for temp & clock monitoring amd apu's.

Other software is sketchy at beat on FM2/+ boards.

The thermal margin under cpu a
Status tab works backwards from. the CPU's max temp.
So the higher (farther it is away from 0) the better
0 is the point at which thermal safety kicks in & throttles clocks.
You should never disable this even if you can.

Amd users have complaint much for innacurate cpu temp measurements, so do not take your readings as a fact, especially when you see different readings by yourself. As i stated before, it is highly probable that your cpu throttles due to overheating. If you do not rule out that everything is clean in the cpu, heatsnik and you have applied new thermal paste, you are not going to solve your problem. If the problem persists, then we can see other options.

morit

Reputable
Aug 4, 2015

So if my thermal margin is 9 whats my Temp in Celcius?

Yul that's dire then mate , have you checked the cooler fitment to make sure its locked down properly with the arm??
Your compromised somewhere , that temp is akin to not having a cooler fitted at all.

By the time you've spent money on decent paste you could probably have grabbed a cheap aftermarket cooler .
What country are you in ??

morit

Reputable
Aug 4, 2015

I'm in Latvia.

i love latvia. i hope to travel to riga soon.

yeah your rx460 graphics score in firestrike looks fine. but like said your cpu score is very low. i had a computer that had an rx460 and an amd x4 760k. the x4 760k is very similar to your a8 7600 and it has a physics score of 4300 while your a8 physics score is less than 3000. that tells me your cpu is throttling somehow as you should score much closer to what my 760k scores. our rx460s are putting up virtually the same graphics score of 5500.

here is a link to my score.
http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/18709185

like other said, realtemp and hwmonitor are reading the cpu temp correctly. your best bet to read cpu temp is amd overdrive as recommended.

what cpu cooler are you using? it is the stock amd cooler that came with the cpu? is the cooler properly seated and clipped in all the way? have you went into your computer bios and under the pc health section have you made any changes to the fan speeds?

morit

Reputable
Aug 4, 2015
Thanks to all of you guys. Now my CPU is running at 52 thermal margin and using the AMD TURBO feature clocking up to 3.8 ghz. I dont know which one fixed it. There was a 3 cm pillow of dust between my fan and heatsink and i added thermal paste because there wasn't a lot of it.