[SOLVED] SATA 2 with high performance SSD

Nov 25, 2019
I have 10 year old laptop with SATA 2 connector, can this SATA 2 connector fully utilize the high performance SSD like Samsung EVO 860 250GB with DRAM? or is it enough to use WD green 240 GB?
Please let me know if high performance SSD would be a overkill for SATA 2 connector.

Laptop Details - Acer aspire 5740> I3 2nd Gen, 4 GB RAM

This is my first post here, please bare me if anything asked incorrectly.

Solution
The 860 Evo is a mainstream SSD, not really "high performance".

SATA II will limit its max transfer speed if you're working with large files. But one the best benefits of SSDs over HDDs is there small, random I/O performance, which shouldn't be limited much by SATA II vs SATA III. So no, I don't really think an 860 EVO would be "overkill". Whether you'll see a noticeable difference between the 860 Evo and the WD green in day to day use would be another question (even if you had a SATA III port).

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
SATA II is going to limit you, yes.
While you can use fast SSDs, I wouldnt' spend the money over & above some more budget options.

EDIT Still a huge step up over an HDD, even with a budget SSD and a SATA II interface.

Last edited:

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
The 860 Evo is a mainstream SSD, not really "high performance".

SATA II will limit its max transfer speed if you're working with large files. But one the best benefits of SSDs over HDDs is there small, random I/O performance, which shouldn't be limited much by SATA II vs SATA III. So no, I don't really think an 860 EVO would be "overkill". Whether you'll see a noticeable difference between the 860 Evo and the WD green in day to day use would be another question (even if you had a SATA III port).

Reactions: Barty1884
Solution
The 860 EVO is, as Black Friday approaches, often on price-parity with my current go-to 'golden-child' of value/performance in the 2.5" SATA market place, the Crucial MX500...

SATA2 will limit it to perhaps 250 MB/sec sequential transfers, but, this is still far faster than spinning drives..