Question SATA HDD not recognized after M.2 SSD is connected

Dec 31, 2022
Hi everyone

I have an Asus TUF Gaming B550 Plus motherboard with an 5600x

I have 2 SATA SSDs both samsung, 3 SATA HDDs (1 WD Blue, 2 Seagate Barracuda) and 2 m.2 SSDs.

I just bought my second M.2 SSD for games.

The first 980 PRO M.2 is in the top slot working fine, and 970 EVO plus is in the secondary bottom M.2 Slot.

My issue is that once I connect the 970 EVO one of my HDDs are not recognized anymore, but the SSD is recognized (always the same HDD its a Seagate Barracuda). Not even in disk management as unallocated storage. Once I remove the 970 EVO the HDD is recognized again. Anyone has any ideas please?

Thanks.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
the manual states

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...0-PLUS/E16576_TUF_GAMING_B550-PLUS_UM_WEB.pdf

SATA6G_56 is disabled when the second m.2 slot is used. so you only get 5 sata ports if using both m.2 slots. one of the sata drives has to go....

that is odd though as usually ports get disabled in pairs. if you only losing one sata port, then that's pretty good really. my mobo loses 2 sata ports when each m.2 slot is used. so out of 6 i only get 2 of them with both m.2 slots used!!

rgd1101

Don't
*2 M2_2 shares bandwidth with SATA6G_56. When M.2_2 is populated, SATA6G_56 will be disabled.