SATA-IO Reveals SATA Express, µSSD Interfaces

Status
Not open for further replies.
SSD's permanently attached to the pcb/mobo - one more item to fail out of warranty and create a throw-away item - sad the world we live in, driven by the demand for slightly thinner, unserviceable units :(

cheepstuff

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
[citation][nom]apache_lives[/nom]SSD's permanently attached to the pcb/mobo - one more item to fail out of warranty and create a throw-away item - sad the world we live in, driven by the demand for slightly thinner, unserviceable units[/citation]

That is not a good justification for excluding SATA SSD integration onto motherboards. Integration is what the industry has been doing to technology for years. Do you still use sound cards for your computer, or is it a chip that sits on your motherboard? Intel has integrated memory controllers and even chipsets onto their CPUs and they are just as reliable as before.
Adding an industry standard to make SSDs more integratable on electronics important for their adoption. I hardly think that is what makes the world a sad place.

[citation][nom]cheepstuff[/nom]That is not a good justification for excluding SATA SSD integration onto motherboards. Integration is what the industry has been doing to technology for years. Do you still use sound cards for your computer, or is it a chip that sits on your motherboard? Intel has integrated memory controllers and even chipsets onto their CPUs and they are just as reliable as before.Adding an industry standard to make SSDs more integratable on electronics important for their adoption. I hardly think that is what makes the world a sad place.[/citation]

MTBF/Reliability for flash memory is different then chipsets/ic's etc like sound etc

spookyman

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
Still remember when IO controllers where separate from the system board. The hard drive and floppy drive, and IO ports came on separate card. The reason was it was cheaper to replace them then the system board at the time. 486 system boards where incredibly expensive compared to what you can get today.

theoldgrumpybear

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2010
[citation][nom]apache_lives[/nom]SSD's permanently attached to the pcb/mobo - one more item to fail out of warranty and create a throw-away item - sad the world we live in, driven by the demand for slightly thinner, unserviceable units[/citation]

Being BGA a mobo manufacturer could just keep it in a "socket" and when/if it fails (or you want/need upgrade etc) you pop it open and replace. Just because you can solder it to the mobo does not mean you have to.

wiinippongamer

Distinguished
[citation][nom]cheepstuff[/nom]That is not a good justification for excluding SATA SSD integration onto motherboards. Integration is what the industry has been doing to technology for years. Do you still use sound cards for your computer, or is it a chip that sits on your motherboard? Intel has integrated memory controllers and even chipsets onto their CPUs and they are just as reliable as before.Adding an industry standard to make SSDs more integratable on electronics important for their adoption. I hardly think that is what makes the world a sad place.[/citation]

Anyone who actually cares about sound quality won't be using no crappy onboard chip

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]wiinippongamer[/nom]Anyone who actually cares about sound quality won't be using no crappy onboard chip[/citation]
Agreed. I am kind of frusterated that I have to pay more for the motherboard for a feature I don't want. The only mobos I can even FIND without onboard sound are server boards. And those cost more... I want motherboards with a unified connection standard (USB/SATA merger of some kind, perhaps Thunderbolt only). I don't want onboard sound, or video, or even ethernet. I want those to be features that I add on myself per my specifications. I am not saying that integrated features on a motherboard are bad in general. They are great for the average joe. But I want a system that I can configure to my hearts content. I want a motherboard that is a minimalist's platform.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]liveonc[/nom]Solder EVERYTHING on it, RAM, CPU, SSD, bundle it with Windows & call it a day, netbooks???[/citation]
As long as the specs are right, sure. It is a netbook, not a laptop/desktop. A more functional tablet. I bet you could get these things to have an extra couple hours of battery life if everything is soldered on.
If Windows 7 is the OS of choice, you have to have a minimum 4 GB of RAM and 64GB SSD, and an A8...

pdfsmail

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
Interesting developement... I could see something like this happening once I starting hearing of the first SSDs..
Possibly a step in the right direction..?

davewolfgang

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]Agreed. I am kind of frusterated that I have to pay more for the motherboard for a feature I don't want. The only mobos I can even FIND without onboard sound are server boards. And those cost more... I want motherboards with a unified connection standard (USB/SATA merger of some kind, perhaps Thunderbolt only). I don't want onboard sound, or video, or even ethernet. I want those to be features that I add on myself per my specifications. I am not saying that integrated features on a motherboard are bad in general. They are great for the average joe. But I want a system that I can configure to my hearts content. I want a motherboard that is a minimalist's platform.[/citation]

Then you and wiin are in the Minority - Companies make $$$$$ by selling to the Majority of users.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]davewolfgang[/nom]Then you and wiin are in the Minority - Companies make $$$$$ by selling to the Majority of users.[/citation]
Power users, by definition, are in the minority. We are willing to pay a bit more to be power users because our stuff is not as available. But I would think something like this would be a big seller amongst the same people who buy super-powerful video cards and high fidelity soundcards ANYWAYS... I wouldn't give this minimalist platform to a general home user who wants power savings and bang for the buck... I'd give it to the guy who wants a very specific feature set, and no extras.

I've read and read and I still don't know what the heck SATA Express is. Can someone enlighten me, please? Does it allow direct PCI-E bus connectivity over 2 SATA cables? Does it just bind the speed of 2 SATA ports together? what is it????

Status
Not open for further replies.