Question SATA Mode: AHCI vs. RAID

Bulldog17

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2005
I understand the differences between AHCI and RAID. At least, I think I do. Currently, my Windows 11 PC's SATA mode is set to 'RAID on.'

I am not interested in creating a RAID volume. Not now, and not likely in the future.

Are there any advantages to switching my SATA mode to AHCI? And are there any disadvantages to being in RAID mode if I only ever plan to use single volumes? Thanks for your help.

Bulldog17

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2005
I understand the differences between AHCI and RAID. At least, I think I do. Currently, my Windows 11 PC's SATA mode is set to 'RAID on.'

I am not interested in creating a RAID volume. Not now, and not likely in the future.

Are there any advantages to switching my SATA mode to AHCI? And are there any disadvantages to being in RAID mode if I only ever plan to use single volumes? Thanks for your help.
EDIT: I believe I have the answer to my own question.

In RAID mode, the SATA controller enables both AHCI and RAID functions when the computer boots, so there's no reason to consider switching to AHCI only.

Moreover, switching SATA modes after the operating system has been installed could make the computer unbootable.

So I'll stick with RAID. Thanks for reading.

Bulldog17

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2005
But, there is no reason for the Raid option.

Unless it is already set on that, and you're not going to do any major reconfig...
You are correct if speaking before the fact. However, in my case, I bought a pre-built (Dell) already set to RAID, and not planning major reconfig to the drives.